Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

im was on lexapro 10 mg 5 days and been on 20mg for 13 days

im was on lexapro 10 mg 5 days and been on 20mg for 13 days now and 10 mg 3x a day buspar for depression and anxiety today my body has felt full of energy but my mind is still dull unable to focus on anything or gain concentration is this bad??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 2 years ago.

Not necessarily. It can take a while (up to a month) for your body to adjust to the medication. It's not uncommon for people to have a "fuzzy" or "underwater" feeling when beginning an SSRI like Lexapro.

To explain, Lexapro is an anti-depressant in the SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) class of drugs. It doesn't increase serotonin (a common misperception), it just makes the serotonin you already have more available for absorption by your brain. This process is going to have an effect on your cognition for a little while as your body acclimates to the effects. Once acclimated, you honestly won't notice any effect at all. However, it takes time. In general its recommended that patients stick with their meds for at least a month to see if they're effective.

That being said, if you have any serious side effects (a bad rash, etc) you should contact your doctor.

Additionally, I don't think that the Buspar would be slowing you down, but you might try decreasing it if it isn't needed (I'm assuming you take it as needed for anxiety).

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Dr. G.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No i was actualy told to take the buspar 3x daily so its normal for my thinking to be distorted and concentration low? I also feel my feelings are somewhat suppressed almost like I dont have any no intrest just a mellow dull feeling

When you say your thinking is "distorted" what do you mean exactly? Can you explain? If you're talking about a lack of concentration and a sense of dulling, then, yes - its normal and may subside over time. Again, I'd give it a month if it isn't getting in the way of daily activities.

If you're talking about thoughts that are bizarre or out of the norm, then no.

Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience: Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No bizzare thoughts so if alls well these should subside but should I also regain my enthusiasm and drive and intrest in things?

Yes, you should. If you don't start to perk up in 2 more weeks, then you should contact your doctor to discuss it.

I wish that I could say that we know these things immediately, but it really takes the body time to get used to the meds sometimes. In general you'll feel some of these weird effects for a couple of weeks and then the mood will start to improve, the anxiety will start to diminish and you won't notice any side effects.

I hope that's what happens in your case! I wish you luck!

Dr. G.

Dr-A-Greene, Doctor