David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

I have , from what I can recall, been experiencing anxiety

I have , from what I can recall, been experiencing anxiety from a very early age. I am 39 yo and in the past 4 years have had anxiety and panic attacks on daily basis, sometimes what would seem all day long.

What I experience most is;

outer-body sensations almost as if I am listening to myself speak from the outside in

Generally a sense on non-wellbeing , like something bad is destined to happen

Feeling of losing control

I have in the past been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and have tried Prozac ( no success ), Paxil and Zoloft. I have had some success with the later two , but have not taken either in over a decade. I did also have Xanax on an as needed basis, but really dont like to take any kinds of pills.

I am a professional corporate captain, employed operating large motor yachts world wide and am about to take off for Europe again in a few weeks and want to try to get a handle on this so I might be able to start to enjoy my life again.

Any ideas on new Meds with little of no side effects or perhaps a holistic approach to this .. ??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David Akiva replied 2 years ago.

DuddyH :

Welcome, I'm a professional counselor and behavioral-consultant.

Customer:

thanks

DuddyH :

I think that the most important thing you can do here is to get a proper diagnosis. I would start by seeing your family doctor. If he or she can't or hasn't been able to provide a diagnosis, you may then want to see a functional medicine specialist to rule out any physical medical conditions that may be contributing to the symptoms you've described. You may also want to see an environmental medicine practioner.....

DuddyH :

Once you have fully ruled out any medical issues, I would see a clinical psychologist who practices cognitive behavioral therapy.

Customer:

That sound pretty comprehensive , but certainly would cover all bases.

Customer:

My only issue with a long-term practitioner relationship is that I travel almost 8 + months a year outside the US.

Customer:

Can most of the test yield prompt resluts ?

DuddyH :

A licensed clinical psychologist who does CBT will usually have the training to look at both psychological and medical interventions related to medication.

Customer:

Yes, I have heard of that approach, CBT, that is

DuddyH :

That really depends on if and what the physical basis of your symptoms are.

Customer:

This has been plaguing for what would seem to be the better part of 30 years with the most significant periods starting in my early 20's

DuddyH :

For many conditions CBT has been shown to as or more effective than medications. Let me get you a good link that outlines what CBT is and how it works....

Customer:

The ironic thing is that if I have a glass of wine or two all symptoms seem to disappear entirely

Customer:

I will have a look, I did speak to a DR a few weeks back that specialized in just that technique, but was a bit apprehensive when his excitement seemed to be a bit extreme in wanting to get started straight away and had told me that it would be very uncomfortable for the unforeseen future.

DuddyH :

One thing I have to tell you is that we are not permitted to provide any kind of diagnosis or assessment on JustAnswer.com. But what I can say is that it's best course medically and psychologically is to get the best available definition of the problem.

DuddyH :

How often do you drink alcohol? And are you taking any narcotic medications?

Customer:

yes agreed, I have been diagnosed with panic disorder and GAD some years ago.

DuddyH :

By a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist?

Customer:

I drink usually once a week and it is usually just wine, I used to be a bit of a Partier , but have let most of that go entirely, I dont use drugs at all, in fact haven't since my early 20's and the onset of my panic attacks that were a bit more severe.

Customer:

psychiatrist

DuddyH :

I see you're still typing so I'll wait for your next response..

Customer:

I am in part reluctant to go see someone due to the fact of having to admit defeat in respect to having this condition, how ever cannot get rid of it if I dont, kind of a double edged sword

DuddyH :

Well another way to look at is by going for CBT is that you are taking steps to learn new skills and strategies that may enable you to overcome or at least more effectively manage your anxiety. For example, in CBT for anxiety, relaxation training is often a major strategy. Let me get you one of my favorite free links on relaxation training. The benefits of relaxation can be incredible in so many areas of life from relationships with family or at work to better sleep and general health... back in a moment with a great relaxation training link. It's not flashy but it's free and a great resources....

Customer:

sounds good, I dont need a Ferrari at this point just a car to get me there, thanks

DuddyH :

This link is from Arizona State University. It's really good. http://vcc.asu.edu/relax/index.shtml

DuddyH :

I'm not sure what you mean.

Customer:

I work with a series of relaxation links on my I-Pad as well that seem to be helpful. Sorry my reference was to your comment, nothing flashy..

DuddyH :

Got it. Thank you for clarifying.

DuddyH :

Do you want help finding a CBT therapist in your area?

Customer:

Yes that would be very helpful , thanks

DuddyH :

Ok. May I ask what city and state you are in?

Customer:

Fort Lauderdale, FL

DuddyH :

Thank you... back in a few moments....

Customer:

ok

DuddyH :

The link was pretty long so I got the link shortened for you:

DuddyH :

http://tinyurl.com/7yxrhbj

DuddyH :

You may have to copy and paste it into your browser.

Customer:

ok will give it a go

DuddyH :

There are a number of well trained CBT therapists in your area who specialize in anxiety treatment. I would recommend looking through the list and make some calls or e-mails. It's very important that you feel comfortable with any therapist you work with. Licensed CBT therapists are trained to do formal clinical assessments and they are usually biased away from medications unless they are really necessary.

DuddyH :

Have I answered your question ok today?

Customer:

That sounds a lot like what I am looking for, I have gone as far as trying additional vitamin supplements such as, Vitamin C, B- complex and magnesium

Customer:

yes thank you

DuddyH :

You are very welcome. Please don't forget to press the green accept button if you are satisfied with my answer.

DuddyH :

I wish you the very best. Take care!

Customer:

will do just now, thanks

David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience: Counselor; Behavioral Consultant