Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist

There are times when I seem to zone out and lose my sense of

There are times when I seem to zone out and lose my sense of self. I can still function but I seem to have no emotion and questions of who I am run through my head. When I'm like this, I can look into the mirror and I don't know who I am- I mean I know my name and memories and whatnot but it's like what makes me me, like my opinions and whatnot. It's kindof like what people say they experience when they have an out of body experience, but I'm still in my body and It doesn't feel like my body- or it doesn't feel like my 'spirit'. I know this sounds odd, but it's been happening for a while now and nothing in particular seems to trigger it that I can tell. It's very hard to explain what happens to me, but if you have an idea on what's going on please tell.

This is called "depersonalization." It is a dissociative disorder that can be triggered by trauma (this often happens during or after a rape, for example), but it can also occur for no apparent reason. (By the way, I am assuming no drugs or alcohol are involved in this situtation - many cause this, specifically marijuana).

Depersonalization Disorder isn't well understood, to be honest, but neuroscientists think that it has something to do with an imbalance in the brain chemsitry. Several things may be of help:

1) Psychological counseling. This helps you understand why depersonalization occurs and trains you to stop worrying about the symptoms so that they go away.

2) Medications. While there are no medications specifically approved to treat depersonalization disorder, a number of medications generally used to treat depression and anxiety may help. Some examples that have been shown to relieve symptoms include fluoxetine (Prozac), clomipramine (Anafranil) and clonazepam (Klonopin).

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. G.