Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

Hello Doctor, Im 23 years old female, student, recently I have difficulty with my me

Hello Doctor, I'm 23 years old female, student, recently I have difficulty with my memory sometimes I forget with just five minutes things that is important and not easily forgotten, I'm always sleepy and I sleep 10 hrs/day plus that I'm can be focus or concentrated on something during the day, irritability and mood changes is making my life more worse, sometimes I want to say something but when I want to start saying it I go blank, have irregular menstrual periods, and I feel tired all day plus have an increased appetite and maybe binge eating what is happening to me and what cause this and the treatment ? (physiologically and psychologically)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations, I have a few questions for you. First, when did you first experience these symptoms? What was happening in your life during this time? Did you ever experience any head injuries in the past? Also, have you seen a doctor to obtain lab tests for these symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I start having these symptoms recently without any major change .. I may say that it start the last two months .. I didn't obtain any lab tests and I am aware of deficiencies because of my diet !
What kind of deficiencies in your diet? Sometimes a change in diet can alter mental status such as what you are experiencing. What was happening in your life two months ago?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About deficiencies may be Vitamin D but I'm not sure does it caused all these symptoms? and about what happened to my life It really nothing I'm very satisfied and really nothing change or happened altering with my diet maybe but it's not significantly .. sometimes I have an increased appetite thats all
After having an increase of appetite, what happens? do you have a period of not eating? Also, have you had your thyroid checked recently by a doctor? If not, that would be my first suggestion since your irregular menstrual cycle and eating habits can be affected by your thyroid. The thyroid regulates the release of different hormones that can affect one's mood, concentration, and appetite.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
had a thyroid test before was normal .. and what about sleepiness , forgetfulness and lethargy how do you explain it and really caused it and how to treated because it really affects my daily life tasks and is there any medical problem do I have ?
Have you gotten checked for mononucleosis?

Also do you feel sad for no apparent reason? If so, you may be experiencing depression.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope I get stress sometimes when I have many tasks to deal with but sad for no reason I think not .. I think that I don't have a symptoms of mononucleosis !
Stress can cause forgetfulness and lethargy. Have you ever experience a period of where you do not sleep at all or have an unusual amount of energy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I sleep too much and can't easily wake up and feel sleepy all the time .. No insomnia
What medications are you currently taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO medication.. No supplements .. I don't drink coffee either
Has anything life threatening happened to you? Or have you witnessed something that can be construed as life threatening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
When feelings stressed, do you feel nervous or anxious?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes most of the time
Also is this when you binge eat?

Do you ever have panic attacks?

I apologize to bombard you with questions, but we are getting closer to your answer. After your response, I will have some suggestions for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes this stressful events causing the binge eating but panic attack no .. looking forward for suggestion
Based on your responses, you are definitely experiencing increased anxiety from your current stressors. Whenever you feel stressed, I suggest for you to take 10 deep breaths. What I mean by deep breath is when you inhale through the nose, make sure your stomach is expanding as if a balloon is being filled with air. When you breathe out, make sure your stomach goes in as if a balloon is deflating. If you do this 10 times, you will slow down your heart beat and your thinking will be clearer.

The lethargy you are experiencing is the energy that is taking up from you being anxious. When you are anxious, you are expending a lot of energy, hence sleeping 10 hours and feeling hungry constantly. If you want to control your appetite, I suggest for you to eat regular meals (3 meals with two small snacks) a day. If it is hard to control your appetite, I urge you to use a food diary where you keep track of what you are eating. When you keep track of your food intake, this makes you self-conscious about what you eat and the amount you eat. This may help with your appetite. Another suggestions about your appetite is to use a distraction technique of engaging into another activity. It can be as easy as going for a walk or drinking water.

In terms of the forgetfulness, I urge you to keep a handy notebook to write down a list of things that need to be accomplish for the day. Write it all down so you don't forget it. If something comes to you that needs to be done in 5 minutes, keep repeating the task over-and-over in your head or write it down on your list.

Another suggestion I have is to begin journaling. When feeling stressed, a lot of thoughts and feelings enter your mind and journaling will help you express them and also help you resolve things that needs resolving.

Please let me know if any of these suggestions are helpful. If you try these strategies and they do not work, please see a therapist that can help you with your anxiety further.
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults