Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

ii WAS TAKING XANAX .5MG 2 A DAY NOW MY DR HAS SWITCHED ME

ii WAS TAKING XANAX .5MG 2 A DAY NOW MY DR HAS SWITCHED ME TO ATIVAN ,5MG 2X A DAY. i'M NOT FEELING RIGHT i THINK i'M GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWEL SYPMTOMS. cAN YOU TELL ME WHAT EQUALS TO XANAX TO ATIVAN i THINK i'M TAKING TO LITTLE. mY PHYC GIVES ME A SEVERE HARD TIME. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS EQUAL OR I SHOULD BE TAKING MORE ATAVAN THAT'S WHAT I LOOKED UP THAT IM NOT TAKING ENOUGH ATIVAN IM NOT ONE TO TAKE MEDICATION AND I ALREADY TOLD HER THAT ONCE IM BALANCED THAT I WOULD LIKE TO TAPER OFF. I HAD TAPPERED OF OF XAXAX ONCE BEFORE TOOK MONTHS. are you there how much longer im tired thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 2 years ago.

As you must be knowing, alprazolam, lorazepam, clonazepam are all benzodiazepines. According to one benzodiazepine conversion chart (there are several of them) .5 mg of Alprazolam (Xanax) is roughly equal to 1 mg of Lorazepam (Atvian).

If you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, you can ask your doctor to slightly increase the dose of Ativan to 2 mg per day initially and hopefully this should be enough to control your symptoms.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it better to take valium instead because i want toget off in a few months im just dealing with so many other health problems my blood pressure whifh is low is going very high and than low the withdrawels are horrible so is vaium better to deal with thats what one dr told me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

In that case, I personally prefer to use Clonazepam (Klonopin). Clonazepam is a long acting benzodiazepine and is comparatively less habit forming in comparison to other benzodiazepines.

It is also much easier to taper down clonazepam because of its long half life.

Your doctor can simply shift you on 1-2 mg of Clonazepam directly and then start tapering down.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SHE WONT GIVE ME CLONOPIN A FEW MONTHS AGO I TOLD HER THAT MY MEDICATIONS ALWAYS HAVE TO BE ALTERED BACK AND FORTH AND IT HAS WORKED FOR YEARS BUT BEAUSE SHE FOUGHT E FOR MONTHS IT DEVEOPED INTO A FULL BLOWN RASHES WHICH WOULD GO AWAY ONCE IM BACK ONTO THE OTHER EDICINE SHE WOULDNT CHANG IT THATLS THAT SO WHAT IS THE EQUIVALANT TO XANAX TO VALIUM

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 2 years ago.
O.K.

5 mg of Valium (Diazepam) is equivalent to .5 mg of Xanax.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I WAS TOLD 10MG O VALIUM TO .5 MG XANAX CAN YOU TELL ME WHICH WWW. YOU ARE USING FOR THE CONVERSION CHART I SEE TO MANY THANK YOU IS THERE ANY OTHER EDS THAT CAN HELP YOU GET OF OF THIS SHIT AND IS THERE ONLY THESE 4 BENXOS IS THERE ANY LIKE CLONOPIN???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
JUST NEED THE COONVERSION CHART I CAN LOOK IT UP NEED TO KNOW WHICH ARE LESS ADDICTING WHEN IM BETTER IMM LOOKING TO PUT MY SELF IN SOMEWHERE THAT THEY TREAT YOU RIGHT TO GET OFF ALL THIS STUFF I FOUND OU THAT BENXOS SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH B VITAMINS AMINO ACIDS BEASUSE IT CHANGES THE GABA IN THE RAIN WHY NOT JUST USE GABA
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 2 years ago.
As I told you earlier, there are several conversion chart available with some minor differences in the doses. In any case, the dose has to be individualized for a given patient and there is no such fixed conversion dose suitable for an individual patient.

I am giving you an example below.

Conversion

All Benzodiazepines can be addictive. We frequently use Benzodiazepines with Multivitamin and amino acid when needed. Amino acids alone can't replace Benzodiazepines and it is difficult to explain here why it is so.

In your case, a long acting benzodiazepine should be a better option as it can be taper down easily later on when needed. Other than Clonazepam, Diazepam is a good alternative in your case in my view.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is valium stronger or xanax is ativan stronger or xanax is clonopin stronger or xanax i was told not to take aminos they play with the gaba receptors and oit could make you feel sick ido get iv aminos and i do feel very sick and aggitated when i get my iv do you agree with this im trying to figure out what to take my only options at this point is valium or ativan which is safer
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 2 years ago.
Please accept my apology for the delay in replying.

It is not possible to compare these medicines and say which one is more stronger. All of them are more or less equal in producing the desired effect with one major difference and that is duration of action.

Xanax is short acting while Valium and klonopin are long acting benzodiazepines.

If your doctor told you to avoid amino acid there must be a reason for it and you should avoid taking it don't worry about the various mechanism involved.

Regarding safety, both Ativan and Valium are more or less similar. In my view, Valium can be taper down more easily so go for it. The other alternative to Valium which I have already mentioned in my previous answer is Klonopin.

Best wishes,

Vikas