How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Your Own Question
Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2177
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Michael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have been advised to get a psychiatric assessment for our

This answer was rated:

We have been advised to get a psychiatric assessment for our son who is 22 years of age and has has ongoing criminal charges (since 18) relating to theft and burglary when he is under the use of alcohol.

Reportedly he has been told that he does not have an alcohol problem despite his offending patterns always involving drinking. (Corrections). Our barrister advised to seek an assessment which may help explain luke's inability to have control over his behavior. He has difficulty comprehending certain instructions, poor memory retention and difficulty accepting responsibility for his actions . Even through school poor ability to understand consequences.has poor self esteem and socialization skills - possible depression

Question is what is the referal process to get some assessments on him - he is willing but doesn't quite understand why. Also we are pressed for time and would need to look at private referral rather than a public waiting list etc medically suffers from ashma and XYY syndrome

Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

His behavior pattern is consistent with the XYY syndrome, actually. This genetic configuration occurs in 1 in 1000 births, as you probably know. Kids tend to be taller than average and may or may not have intellectual problems or learning disabilities. They have a much higher frequency of impulse control problems and anti-social behavior, such as what your son is experiencing. Your son can ill afford to be consuming alcohol because this really exacerbates his problems with inhibiting impulsive behavior and ability to 'think before you act'---what we call executive functioning areas of the brain.

You want a clinical psychologist who specializes in forensics, or if cannot find one, just someone called a clinical psychologist. He can do the formal testing and may be able to suggest particular therapy approaches for developing improved executive functioning, impulse control, actual skills to increase the likelihood he will stop, think, plan, consider consequences etc., before he acts. But not drinking at all, is a key and may be hard for him to understand. For him, alcohol really pushes his limited cognitive control skills and abilities 'over the cliff'.

What do you think?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This makes sense and fits exactly with what you are saying -this has been an on going issue. The XYY has been raised before but legally no one has known much or been very concerned.magistrate and police view him as being a smarty and putting on an act.he has difficulties retaining information - they say he is just lazy

Will it be hard to get a clinical psychologist ...?.. And does a referral need to be direct or through a gp ?. We have a general well being referral fro gp is that enough .
If you are going to see someone privately, you should have a health directory with phone numbers, or you may have a local psychological society or association. You could look this up on the internet actually, if one exists in your locale. You don't need a formal referral to see someone privately, so you can simply contact the clinical psychologist directly. Point is, your son could very probably have a learning disability that could require some adjustments in vocational training or job options i.e., he may need a job apprenticeship with hands-on training, and could never really learn a 'career' in a formal vocational training school, and probably not university. Psychological testing will give you an idea about his overall intellectual capabilities and whether it is likely that learning disability is present---the interpretations and specific recommendations that come from the testing will be most important. As far as the anti-social behavior is concerned, this will require some ongoing therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy. Your general well being referral should certainly be enough, but I'm only partially familiar with the AVENUES for obtaining services in Australia.

Let me know if I have overlooked any aspect of your question. Please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen.
Dr. Michael and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you