Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist

Have a ? on ethics/professionalism of a Nat. Board Cert. Counselor.He

Have a ? on ethics/professionalism of a Nat. Board Cert. Counselor.He has counseled me for extremely major depression 2 yrs., said hurtful things to me a lot, admitted that he was harsh to me at times. Also has helped me out; ie: working in my yard, repairing car/lawnmower, coming to my house alone (I am single female-he is married) although nothing sexual or anything. He has winked at me in the hallway at church (he is also pastoral minister) I did not think anything of it but it confused me. The helping me out with things confused me. I was tired of all the hurtful things he was saying to me & I told him in an email that I was not coming back. He sent me an email saying "sorry it didn't work out." He and his supervisor are saying they did nothing wrong (he is with a counseling center separate from the church) Said he was not obligated to do termination sessions since I said I was not coming back. Also told me if I was going to cry, to cancel my appt. Reasons to file complaint?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 4 years ago.

Here is a link to the National Board Certified Counselor (NBCC) code of ethics. Some of the issues you talked about are addressed in this document

Unfortunately you can't file a complaint against his license, because (unlike a social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist) he doesn't have one. A certification is different from a license in that it is a voluntary certification that identifies counselors who have met certain standards. It is not the same as a licensed professional who is governed by a state licensure Board. Nonetheless, you could try to file a complaint with the NBCC (the link I gave you will link into their website) and research the laws in your state.

What I can definitely tell you is that therapists should not be coming to your house or fixing things in your yard, etc. This is a confusion of roles and sounds unprofessional to say the least. Additionally, my hope is that he referred you to a psychiatrist for your major depression (if you weren't already seeing one), as that is also the correct thing to do.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and good luck to you,

Dr. G.