MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

M son is prescribed Bupropion xl 150 mg once daily. His doctor

M son is prescribed Bupropion xl 150 mg once daily. His doctor is out of town for a few days and I'm having a problem getting him refils. I take Bupropion 150 sr twice daily. Would it be ok for him to take half of a 150 sr twice a day?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

It really isn't a good idea to break the SR tablets in half as then will no longer be sustained release if that is done. While it would be best for him to take exactly what he is prescribed, most people could make do with replacing Wellbutrin XL 150mg taken once daily with Wellbutrin SR 150mg taken once daily, for a few days' time.