David H.
David H., BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant

I am lost. I am 57, lostthe job I had for 20 years, been un

Customer Question

I am lost. I am 57, lostthe job I had for 20 years, been un employed 5 months, lost my home, my ego and I can't figure out which way to move forward. I am Tax Accountant but not a CPA, do I pay 22,000 to go to school now and get my CPA, find a totally different direction since I can't seem to get hired again as I am. I feel worthless, hopeless and very disparaged. Is there career counseling for old people?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David H. replied 2 years ago.

DuddyH :

Welcome, I'm a professional counselor and behavioral-consultant. I'd like to chat with you for a few moments, - are you available right now for chat?

Customer:

Yes

DuddyH :

Great thank you. Please don't pay for an answer here until you get one and are totally satisfied. I've disabled the "accept" answer button for now if that's ok.

Customer:

OK

DuddyH :

First off, I am so sorry you are going through this right now. And yes, there is career counseling for people of all ages.

Customer:

Where do you find them? I am really feeling like a loser, living with my daughter and not being able to pay my basic bills. I feel like just leaving the world because there is nothing left.

DuddyH :

What you are feeling is very normal for millions who have lost their jobs. As a professional counselor I have to ask, are you at serious risk for self harm?

DuddyH :

And yes, I do have some suggestions about career counseling but I see you're typing. I'll wait for your response.

Customer:

I just go on from day to day crying and trying to figure out a way out of my mess. I hate being a burden on my child and I don't see any progress. I know others are going through tough times too, but it doesn't change how I feel. I will not do anything while with my daughter because it would just be too much for her on top of everything else. I just can't take much more.

DuddyH :

Do you have access to counseling supportive (mental health counseling) in your area?

DuddyH :

Do you still have severance access to your previous employer's EAP program for example?

Customer:

I am going to counseling and I have had an allegic reaction to the last two drugs I've taken, so I am waiting for next appointment. Speaking with counselor has not yet been effective, once every 3 weeks. I am on unemployment,

DuddyH :

Well good to hear that you have access to some supportive counseling....

DuddyH :

As far as career counseling suggestion are concerned I would start with the best self-help book there is on career counseling so that you can really look at what you need to know and do. That way, when and if you do need in person career counseling you can really save money by knowing your stuff in advance...let me get you a couple of links to start off with...

Customer:

Maybe not the right group or intensive enough, but I am going. Going to discuss the need to intensify things and what I really need to get me through because current method not working obviously.

DuddyH :

The book I strongly recommend is called: What Color is Your Parachute? (2012 edition). It's by Dick Bolles arguably the best career counselor on the planet. Here is a short video series interview with him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxrhyo2MlWo

DuddyH :

You can usually find a copy in your local library for free. It's usually updated every year since it was first published. So you will often find a copy from an earlier year which is ok. You can also find it online often second hand, if you can afford the 2012 edition:

Customer:

Ok does it deal with life stages as well? I feel too old to reinvent the wheel.

DuddyH :

The book doesn't have a life stage approach but it has a revolutionary approach to finding and sustaining hope by really focusing on, sometimes even discovering your previously unknown strengths and how to find work based on those strengths.

DuddyH :

As you'll hear in the interview series I've sent you, it's been a best seller for over 40 years now.

Customer:

Ok I will check it out and see what I can discover there.

DuddyH :

May I ask what city and state you are in?

DuddyH :

I'd like to do a quick search for resources in your area that may be helpful.

Customer:

Orlando, FL

DuddyH :

I'll be back in a few moments....

DuddyH :

thank you...

DuddyH :

This looks like it may be helpful general resource: http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/

DuddyH :

back again shortly...

DuddyH :

Here are some career counseling resources in your area: http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/dir/career-counseling/fl/orlando/

Customer:

Thank you I will check it out.

DuddyH :

I'm still looking, just familiarizing myself with what's in your area and looking for someone with strong credentials and experience that you might call to start getting and idea of what's out there....a few more moments please...

DuddyH :

Sorry for the delay...

DuddyH :

Here is a great list of career counselors in your area with their qualifications and experience displayed: http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1331752976.6049_13625&city=Orlando&county=Orange&state=FL&spec=183&lmore=2

DuddyH :

I would start by getting the what color is your parachute book. I would also call and or e-mail career counselors from the list based on how you feel and what you think about their profiles....

Customer:

Wonderful, this is a great start...I really needed a direction to go in. Once I am done with you, if I hit save this information will still be here to copy?

DuddyH :

Make sure to ask for a slanting fee or rate. For example, they might advertise for 50 or $100 per hour but many counselors will work with you for far less. In fact, most therapists and counselors have an ethical duty to devote a few hours per month to work with people who would benefit from their services but can't afford the full price....

DuddyH :

Let them know that you are willing to read and do homework, that you've read or are reading what color is my parachute etc.

Customer:

Good information. I will make sure to do that.

DuddyH :

Ok. I really hope it helps you. Have I answered your question ok today?

Customer:

Yes, thank you very much - I have a starting point now.

DuddyH :

Ok. I'm enabling the green accept button now for payment. Only pay if you are completely satisfied with my answer and only if you can afford it. Take care and I wish you all the best!

David H., BA, MA,
Experience: Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
Expert:  David H. replied 2 years ago.
I know you've already accepted my answer but I wanted to add this video message I found from Dick Bolles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CskppTlw2S4&feature=related