Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

I have a grandson who is very intelligent but has a block when

I have a grandson who is very intelligent but has a block when he has to fill out a form - such as applying for a visa. What can I do to help him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. Before providing suggestions, please tell me more about your grandson's block from filling out forms. Does he have problems with all forms or just for applying for a visa. How old is your grandson?

Customer:

My grandson is 25. He finished 3 years of university but then had trouble with motivation and concentrating so dropped out. He is very personable and knows politics and all news and con converse very well. He just seems to have problems getting things on paper.

Customer:

Is there a name for this? Is it common and what can be done about it?

Brad The Therapist :

Did he have these problems when he was younger or did this happen after 3 years in the university?

Brad The Therapist :

also, has he had any head injuries or difficulty writing?

Customer:

I wasn't aware of it at a young age. He was very happy at university for the first couple of years and then he had problems getting to classes - whether it was just avoidance of not, I don't know. He has not had a head injury and I don't know about writing. He has started his own company called Grandson on Call and helps people, usually older ones, with their computer problems. He volunteers at a place that gives computer lessons and gets some of his clients from that.

Brad The Therapist :

Do you feel he has anxiety? What does he say why he does not fill out the forms?

Customer:

He seems quite anxious about it and just says he doesn't know how to do it. It just seems too overwhelming.

Brad The Therapist :

My first suggestion for your grandson is to see a psychologist that will teach him coping skills to decrease his feelings of being overwhelmed. Has he discussed when this anxiety first started?

Customer:

No he hasn't said when this started. He is seeing a psychologist and she has suggested that he get more involved with people but maybe he hasn't spelled out to her about the anxiety of forms. Maybe he doesn't see the connection. I was wanting to take him a a two week trip but it entailed filling out a visa form and he was indicating that maybe he wouldn't be going. His dad helped him find the forms on the web and he saw that they weren't too bad so now he is anxious to go. When he started his company he had a lot of help and encouragement from his dad. Is this a common problem? What can we do?

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, anxiety can be common and it can range from mild to extreme anxiety. Based on what you have written about your grandson, he may not want to travel or leave his comfort zone, hence not filling out a visa.

Customer:

Now he says he is anxious to go and is looking forward to it..

Brad The Therapist :

Do you mean he now wants go to on the trip?

Customer:

Yes

Brad The Therapist :

If he does anxiety, I urge you to have him discuss this with his therapist....

Customer:

I will tell him to mention it specifically. Thank you.

Brad The Therapist :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

I guess maybe there are no answers to any questions I would have.

Brad The Therapist :

Please let me know if there are any other questions.

Brad The Therapist :

If you found me helpful, please consider pressing the "accept" button for me to receive credit.

Customer:

No. That is all. I had hoped there was something I might be able to do but it is more than a grandmother can do.

Brad The Therapist :

that is correct.

Brad The Therapist :

I wish you and your family all the best

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults