Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

Ive been lying about sexual abuse why?

Ive been lying about sexual abuse why?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 5 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. There are many reasons why people lie about being a victim of sexual abuse. First there is shame. Second, one may not want to accept this could happen to a person. Third, one just wants to forget that it happened and move on from it.

Customer:

Ive lied about being sexual abuse by my father although it does feel right that something happened and i have suppresed it

Brad :

Do you remember the abuse? Or do you feel that something happened that you can't remember?

Customer:

Yes i feel somthing has happeded that i dont remember

Brad :

What is your relationship with your father like?

Customer:

I have a how can i say unusal relationship with my family he talks about sexual things alot and i cant stand him touching me or getting too close

Brad :

Have you informed him that the sexual comments are offensive?

Brad :

Also, how old are you?

Customer:

all the time but he doesn't stop he takes great delight in stepping over the boundaries I m old enough to know better at 61

Brad :

have you told anyone about the abuse?

Customer:

yes but i can't give it up i want to talk about it because it has really affected in my everyday life

Brad :

you mentioned going to a therapist...did you find it helpful? If not, why not?

Customer:

Ive found it really helpful but it hasn't stopped what should i do about this now?

Brad :

Since you have contact with your father, this issue remains unresolved for you. That may be the reason why this abuse has been affecting you everyday in your life.

Brad :

My recommendation for you is to return to a therapist and continue to discuss these unresolved issues.

Brad :

I recommend a therapist who has experience with trauma....A trauma therapist will teach you coping skills and help you reexperience the trauma to resolve this

Customer:

but i still dont know whether he abused me or not or is it just a feeling

Brad :

Resolution of the trauma does not necessarily mean for you to confront your father. I

Customer:

okay thanks

Brad :

You have unresolved issues with your father, no matter if the trauma happened or not....therapy can help you resolve these feelings towards your father as he continues to make you feel uncomfortable

Brad :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

no thanks

Brad :

I wish you all the best. Please consider pressing the "accept" button if you found me helpful for me to receive credit