Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

My daughter will be 4 in July and she will not do a poo in

My daughter will be 4 in July and she will not do a poo in the toilet. She did it for a week and now she does it in her knickers. I was using pull ups which she would ask for to do a poo, but I thought if i stopped giving the pull ups she might just go in the toilet. It has been 2 months since pull ups were taken away. She will also hide to do it.

I have a reward chart which hasn't been touched. She does talk about doing it in the toilet but she says not yet.

Shall i give her pull ups again to do her poos or just wait to see what happens. Can't take her out just in case she has an accident as her poos are in the evening.

She is also starting school in September so a bit worried.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, and I can see why you might be concerned about your daughter's toilet training. Before providing suggestion, I have a few questions. First, has she been toilet trained before where she was able to use the bathroom before on her own or has she never done this before? Do you have a toilet training potty available? Can she at least tell you when she needs to use the bathroom?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is doing a wee in the toilet and also in the potty at night time.

Great! My suggestion for you is to have your daughter tell you when she needs to poo in the toilet. If she can tell you she needs to poo, take her to the toilet and have her use the bathroom. Slowly and maturely you can have her do it by herself. I urge you not to use the pullups as this will just encourages her to poo in the pull ups.