Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

I have schizoaffective disorder and want to stop taking anti

I have schizoaffective disorder and want to stop taking anti psychotics. I want to use clonazepam, lamictal and vyvanse only.

The reason being is that I have extreme weight gain from all the anti psychotics I have tried.

I am thinking of increasing my dose of lamictal to 300mg.

Also I feel I have decreased concentration from taking anti psychotics and therefore do not see the benefits of them.

What is the best way to stop taking antipsychotics, I am currently taking Geodon.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your questions. Before providing suggestions, I have a few questions for you. What type of symptoms decreased after taking antipsychotics. Do you feel an increase in these symptoms are worth it for you so that you stop gaining weight? Have you consulted with your psychiatrist about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I really don't see how a therapist can answer a question regarding medications. However, I haven't d/c geodon as of yet, I am considering doing so b/c I have metabolic syndrome.

How should I d/c this drug and what symptoms would I experience if I decide not to take anti psychotics.

I have tried them all without success.
I understand your concerns around me being a therapist, but I have worked with adults with schizoaffective disorder and well-aware of medications my clients take so I have some knowledge. Please tell me more about your diagnosis..what type of symptoms have you experienced in the past or currently experiencing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Decreased concentration, metabolic syndrome, EPS and Tardive Dyskinesia and many other side effects.

I just need to know if I stop taking the anti psychotics what could possibly happen.

I was hospitalized once due to psychosis, was not medicated at the time.

I know other people with my dx that only take mood stabilizers
If you experienced psychotic symptoms in the past, you will most likely experience them if you stopped taking your anti psychotics. I urge you to contact your psychiatrist before stopping taking any medications. I'm sure you do not want to go back to the hospital if you stopped taking medications and experience psychosis.

Those that take mood stabilizers only with schizoaffective disorder may only experience psychosis only when feeling extremely depressed or feeling euphoric.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But if the antipsychotics are causing metabolic syndrome, high lipids, elevated sugar levels, EPS and Tardive Dsykinesia. The benefits do not outweigh the risks. Thus I am tired, unable to work b/c of these drugs and really function at a low level.
I completely understand the side effects you are experiencing. Are you able to cope with having psychosis? Such as understanding the thing you see or hear that are not real are really not real.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand what psychosis is, but I would still be using Lamictal and Clonazepam. And by using these two medications they would prevent the symptoms of psychosis.
Please consult with your psychiatrist regarding Lamictal and Clonazepam. As you know, neither are antipsychotics, so there may be a chance of your psychosis returning if you stop using antipsychotics.