Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

What is the best thing to do with a boyfriend who has bipola

What is the best thing to do with a boyfriend who has bipola and mood swings i hate arguing with him and its very frustrating I love him when hes himself but sometimes he trys my patience.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations, I have a few questions for you. First, is your boyfriend receiving any mental health services? If so, what type of services? If not, do you know if he is resistant to treatment?

Customer:

Hi brad he wont take any medication because he loves drinking and smoking and he says if he gives that up life wont be worth living he loves to have a beer after work in the afternoon and denys that he needs any help at all. Im worried because i think hes getting worse I love him and want to help but how can I help when he wont help hinself.

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

is he resistant only towards medication? Is he open to alternative treatment options at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know of any other way to treat this condition only with medication what other ways are available other than medication it has to be something we can lead up to because i dont want to fight with him about it .
Have you considered couple's therapy? This way, you can begin this as a way to work on the relationship and eventually your boyfriend may see that individual therapy and possible use of medications may help your relationship.
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults