Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

why would you need to see a clinicial psychologist and if you

why would you need to see a clinicial psychologist and if you do is it then documented as part of your health records and have an inpact on your chosen career

There are a multitude of reasons to see a clinical psychologist. It can be a short-term issue, such as bereavement (grieving over the loss of a loved one) or short-term depression. Or, it could be a treatment that takes a bit longer in duration such as for eating disorders, anxiety problems, or more serious disorders like psychosis.

It is documented as part of your health records and could ostensibly have an effect on a chosen career - albeit very few. It depends on what you're asking specifically. It would help if I had some examples...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im at uni working realy hard and enjoying the new experience. In Dec 2011 i ended up having 3 weeks in hospital due to severe pains in my legs and being unable to walk. i recovered in early Jan 2012. sadly its happened again im in hospital this is the 11 day and i was told yesterday that i may benifit from seeing a clinicial phy to assist me. i felt offended as i feel the doctor may think this pain and total discomfort is in my head. i am on morphaine meds to try and walk and many tests are being done so im not sure if there is a need to see a clinicial phy?

Also i want to be a social worker and fear that anything like this on my medicial records will have a negitive impact on my chosen career.

Please advise

I see. Thank you for the background. That helps. As for seeing a psychologist - it might not be a bad idea, but I would make sure everything medically was ruled out first. That's the most important thing. Of course, they may just be referring you because of the support variable - it must be very scary and difficult for you!

That being said, having a mental health history in your record will not at all preclude you from becoming a social worker or anything else in the counseling field. It isn't looked down upon - most of us have seen someone at one time or another (myself included). In fact, it gave me a really good perspective on the profession and solidified in my mind that its what I wanted to do.

It won't hurt you. - - - If you were going to be a Navy Seal, then possibly. A social worker? Nope. :)

Good luck to you! Get better soon and take care,

Dr. G.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i havent recieved a reply yet

Please let me know what other information you are looking for and I will do my best to answer it. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last point: can seeing a clinical phy get rid of leg pain and being immobile I'm really struggling to see the connection. Also should I see one on the NHS or go privately?

I really appreciate your advice do far sorry to ask again I'm just very worried.
Thanks for help and kind words

Oh, no problem at all! As far as seeing the psych, it may help actually. A good deal of pain is psychological and on top of it, stress and depression exacerbate pain. There may be something they can do to alleviate some of the symptoms of stress so that the pain is much less intense. Also, if they feel there is a psychological component to some of the symptoms, it can't hurt to get it evaluated, right? Relief from your symptoms is the most important part, no matter what form it comes in.

Also, it shouldn't matter whether you go privately or not - they will probably ask for a release to your primary physician so that they can work together no matter where you go. This is just standard practice as it helps whenever there is a physical concern if they communicate about your care.

Again, please don't worry about seeing a psych. It really won't reflect negatively on you if you are wanting to go into the health profession. Just concentrate on getting better and do whatever is in your best interests. You will be okay.