Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

last night I asked if I was crazy because I have DID, but never

Customer Question

last night I asked if I was crazy because I have DID, but never received an answer because my card was not accepted... after awhile I exited the site yet today I find that $22.00 was taken from my account... Either refund the money and credit my account, or give me a response to my question, please. thank you.(actually it may have been Sat. 3/3/12 not Sun. the 4th)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that you didn't get a response, and I received no monies from you, but either way, I think you deserve an answer, so I will do my best.

When you say that you have DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder), how did you come to realize that this was your diagnosis? It is extremely rare (and even disbelieved to exist in certain circles). Thus, I am curious.

Regardless, does DID make you "crazy"? - No, of course not. DID is developed in response to life trauma and it is a way of coping...so that you don't go crazy, actually. Dissociative disorders are our bodies/minds' way of protecting ourselves from complete decompensation. It is a disorder that can be treated, but it isn't psychosis, etc. Please feel free to ask me more questions or give more info.

Thanks!

Dr. G.

Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience: Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was diagnosed when I was in my mid 40's after I sought help yet again for depression that I couldn't seem to shake, and right away my therapist encountered a child interacting with him but then nothing for about 2 years. I'd been aware of a "susan" and a child that I had seen in a print that I just had to have to the point of near hysteria at the thought of not possessing it because I knew it was me! but I don't know how I knew that... for some years I'd been having flashbacks of a basement(crawlspace) where I was all alone as a 3 yr. old and had no hope of ever being found. There was a window that was there and I later was given some old photos by my mom that showed from the outside this very place... I'd not only been in therapy for over ten years as well as 12 hospitalizations but diagnosed with everything there was. So with this new therapist, for some reason, over a period of years various alters began making themselves known and they were dealt with. No hypnosis or "calling out" was ever used. Heck, I didn't even know they were there! (my adult daughter told me last year that she'd been interacting with them since she was a child) Until recently I thought they'd all been integrated, but apparently there are still others... my daughter let me know because she's seen them. Before, they would come out whenever I slept, or so I thought...not so I've been told. To do and say things I'm not aware of feels scary... this is a "crazy" disorder...

It must be very disorienting to know that there are others still coming forward. However, in my experience working with this (and I actually have a couple of times), it seems that alters only come out in times of great stress or to people that they implicitly trust (like your daughter). So, it would be rare that they would be taking over periods of your everyday life at this point. Also, while integration was considered the ultimate goal years ago, there is a growing body of research indicating that it isn't always healthy to completely integrate. This makes sense, when you think about it, as alters serve a purpose. They protect you from painful past memories, for example - or shield you from current insults.

So, are you concerned because you are still losing time and you think that there may be some destructive or controlling alter coming out? Or are you just concerned that there were/are some you didn't know about?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probably the latter... An interesting aside: I've never been aware of losing time, which is one of the reasons I was totally unaware of my situation. All in all it's been a most interesting journey. (and I later learned that there was at least one major sexual situation that happened when I was 7 going on 8...it was such that I actually "came to" at home with absolutely no idea where I was, or who I was. I had to re-learn everything, including who these people were that I seemed to be living with. I refused to go anywhere, including to school, for over two weeks and started wetting myself and crying alot once I did go back...) I ended up with 21 alters: 7 children, 7 teens or young adults, and 7 adults. I think it telling that I was seven and there were seven each of them... Thank you for your suggestion, I'll check it out. Bonnie

Wow - it sounds like you went through a lot and your amazing psyche did everything it could to protect you. While it may be crazy-feeling, I tend to think of alters as our brain's versions of guardian angels. Because of them, your conscious mind didn't have to experience the trauma at that tender time in your development. It's got to be inconvenient to have to try to get some of that back so much later, but I'm also a believer that everything happens in it's own time. Maybe the ones you are just discovering are making themselves known because its the right time...

Either way, you sound like a strong, courageous woman. I wish you the best of luck.

Take good care,

Dr. G.