MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

Can mild serotonin syndrome manifest as just an increased level

Can mild serotonin syndrome manifest as just an increased level of irritability? My husband takes anxiety medication and ADD meds and is like a completely different person since an increase in dosage.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

To answer your question, it's possible that irritability could represent serotonin syndrome, but in reality, serotonin syndrome is pretty rare compared with a patient simply becoming more irritable as a medication side effect. In particular, most of the medications used to treat ADHD/ADD can make people irritable or even downright aggressive.
If you tell me the names/doses of his medications I could comment further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is taking Paxil, but I don't know the dosage offhand. He is also taking adderall and when he went from 10 mg to 20 he decided very abruptly that we have a horrible marriage and should get a divorce. He has no tolerance for anyone who disagrees with him on anything - everyone is wrong and/or against him.
I see. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this.
The Adderall increase could do this. I'm not saying it is doing it, but it could.
I cannot comment on the serotonin syndrome possibility without knowing the dose of Paxil, but it's usually not caused by a single serotonin medication (like Paxil).