Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hello KateYour answer to my question included to say things

Hello Kate Your answer to my question included to say things gently to my family. I dont actually speak to my family. But this advice has helped as I think I have been getting too upset when I speak to people including doctors. It has put me in a much calmer state of mind. Is there any more advice you could give me about maintining this state of mind. Thank you  I should say I amvery happily married and it is only  when I talk about my family problems I get upset.  Thank you.  I will check your answer in the morning as it is getting late.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hello, it's good to talk to you again. And thank you for requesting my help.

There are many ways to help yourself stay calm and control your anxiety. One way is to practice relaxation techniques. At first these may seem awkward to do. But as you learn them, you will find that they are a tool you can take anywhere with you and use to help yourself stay calmer and more relaxed in any situation. Here is a resource to help you:

http://helpguide.org/mental/stress_relief_meditation_yoga_relaxation.htm

Also, talk to people who are supportive of you, like your husband. Share your feelings and let them provide input. By expressing how you feel and letting others support you, the burdens will be less and you will feel more relaxed.

If you do not have a counselor, you might consider seeing one. It may take a while to get one where you live, but it's worth getting on the list now. A counselor can provide insights into your problems and offer you options. And you will always have someone to talk with when you feel upset and need clarification.

Make time to play and relax. Do things you enjoy. If you find yourself worrying, set aside 15 minutes a day to worry. Write down your worries. Then stop and do something else.

If you have faith, pray. And ask for support from your pastor and those at your church. Faith can be a solace when you feel you have no where else to turn.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.