Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
28397935

my x-son in law was diagnosed with syncoepal depression, should

my x-son in law was diagnosed with syncoepal depression, should i be concerned him keeping my grandchildren for his weekend. Im not sure what this is. Its very hard to get a logical answer from him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

If I'm understanding what he is saying here, technically speaking this is depression with psychologically based or what we call 'psychogenic' fainting episodes so it is commonly called Psychogenic Syncope, if it heavily involves such things as anxiety or depression. I wouldn't let him watch over the grandkids unless you had clearer explanation of what is happening i.e., whether he has been checked out for the faining spells, whether his medical caretakers have figured out what causes them and have at least ruled out the much more serious causes of the fainting, which can involve very serious cardiovascular type, and then there is a less serious Metabolic type, a Neurological type, and so on. He may not be 100% himself if he is taking medications for the syncope. So I would not simply assume I knew what he was saying exactly when he refers to syncopal depression, because this suggests a more benign form, but it could be he has something more serious. You don't want him suddenly fainting for example, if he is driving the grandkids. I'd want more clearcut and exact answers, or I'd play is safe and not have the kids visit. What do you think?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my son in law also works for us, we wouldnt have known anything if he hadnt turned in slip from Doc. stating to not operate any motor vech. His behavor appeared to us as back on durgs. Im very concerned for the safty of my grandchildren. and I do beleive you have answered my question.

thank you

Yes, being back on drugs is the best hypothesis yet. As his employer, you could tell him you need a clean bill of health including a full blood test and make sure it includes a drug screen.

Let me know if I can be of further help. Please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen. Thanks.