MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

My sister found downloads of child pornography on her boyfriends

My sister found downloads of child pornography on her boyfriend's cell phone. She lives with him, and she will not leave. She doesn't understand the severity, and illegal sense of it. She's giving him a "second chance", if she finds it again, she will leave. What makes a grown man attracted to girls who are extremely young and not even developed yet? Is this a pedophile? What's going on in the brain of a pedophile?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

This sure sounds like pedophilia. It's too bad that she doesn't understand the implications of this; people do not just "grow out of" pedophilia. What may cause pedophilia isn't fully understood; if it was then the treatment for it would be far more successful than it is. As it is, one simply cannot count on it going away on its own - or even with therapy. Sadly, the best thing for her to do is to leave him - at least if she has any children in the house, or if she ever wants to have children, or ever wants to be the most sexually desirable person to her boyfriend (as opposed to children filling that role).

Does hit s make sense?