Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

I am on celexa for obsessive thoughts and have been suggested to use Viibyrd instead. My

I am on celexa for obsessive thoughts and have been suggested to use
Viibyrd instead. My doctor suggested to simply stop one and start the other. Any comments?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

Your doctor is most likely suggesting this method as both medications are the same class of antidepressant. They are both SSRIs.

I don't know if your doctor is also taking into consideration previous knowledge of how you tolerate medications. If that's the case, then I can't comment.

Generally, though, the more common way to switch medications is to titrate down from one and then titrate up to the new medication. So in your case it would be tapering off the Celexa and at one point introducing the Viibryd. Many doctors overlap them for a few days at the lower dosages.

So bring this strategy up with your doctor as a possible alternative and discuss it and go from there.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. You are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX