Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

My son may have Schizoid personality disorder. Apparently

My son may have Schizoid personality disorder. Apparently my father was diagnosed with it got out of the military. Could he have inheritated from his grandfather?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

Unfortunately there is a higher risk for someone to have schizoid personality disorder if it is already in their family. With proper treatment, there are still a lot of people who are able to get their symptoms under control and live very productive and fulfilling lives. Even if your son does not have schizoid personality disorder, it sounds like there are signs that you've seen that are cause for concern. If it is possible to get him a proper psychological evaluation or start meeting with a therapist, that would be the best step to get him some help. I can understand your concern and certainly respect the fact that you're trying to help him out. Best of luck and if I can be of any more help just let me know.