Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
57558633

Hi, I have been on .05 mg of Klonopin three times a day for

Hi, I have been on .05 mg of Klonopin three times a day for almost 7 years. I went to my new psychiatrist today and explained that I have been having very bad panic attacks again. But he did not change the doseage but added lamotrigine 1 tablet the first week each night , 2 the 2nd week each night and then 3 the following week each night. I even started gagging and vomiting from the panic attacks again. What should I do and should my dosage of klonopin be raised?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 2 years ago.

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Did you psychiatrist explain that it may take time for your new medication to become effective?

Customer:

Yes, he mentioned that the Lamtrigine would take a few weeks to get into effect. But my klonopin has done wonders for me and has controlled my panic attacks. I told him that my panic attacks were still happeing and were very bad.

Customer:

The lamtrigine being for mood and help calm me and focus better.

Customer:

I take 0.5 MG of klonopin a day and have been on that same regiment for close to seven years. But over the past few weeks it seems to have stopped working the way it was previously.

Ask Eleanor :

Yes. Psychiatrists are becoming more and more relunctant to increase dosages of benzodiazepam meds such as Clonopin, as they are extremely addictive. Once it becomes effective, established in your brain, the Lamotigine should augment the Clonopin and help it be more effective.

Ask Eleanor :

Are you in psychotherapy?

Customer:

I was a few years ago. I took five classes each day for four weeks.

Ask Eleanor :

Was it Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Customer:

Here is what I am concerned about though. MY regular doctor (family doctor) put me on xanax on the 22nd of FEB until the 26 of FEB, due to me losing my perscription and he was unable too call in the remaing script of Klonopin due to the laws. I took 1.mg twice a day and had too stop it immetiatlly because it made me feel very sick. So he went ahead and put me right back on my Klonopin .05 three times a day again. so could of the xanax agumented the effects of my klonopin working correctly.

Customer:

It was similar to CBT, yes.

Ask Eleanor :

The Xanax is also a benzo and should not have interferred with the Clonopin. I truly believe that Cognitive Behavior Psychotherapy is indicated for you. It can help greatly with panic attacks. Would you like me to recommend CBT therapists for you?

Customer:

Sure.

Ask Eleanor :

Okay, what is your city and zip code?

Customer:

Clarksburg , 26301 is the zipcode

Ask Eleanor :

Okay, give me a few minute and I will chat back with names for you.

Customer:

k

Ask Eleanor :

http://www.fmccwv.com/#!vstc0=employees-weston This is a counseling center with several therapist who practice CBT and is in Clarksburg. I think it would be an excellent place for you.

Customer:

Alright. I do also have one more thing too ask.

Ask Eleanor :

Sure.

Customer:

If I am still experiening system of panic attacks and it's effecting my eating/sleeping habits and also can make me gag sometime and vomit. Should I go see the ER doctor or contact my PSY. as soon as possible?

Ask Eleanor :

How many time have your vomited?

Customer:

As I mentioned, I am on 05. MG of Klonpin a day. I threw up once earlier four times this afternoon and started gagging slightly earlier prior to going to just answer.com for advice.

Customer:

I have never over taken my medicine either. I've always stuck right on the regiment perscribed by my doctors.

Ask Eleanor :

Are you alone?

Customer:

No, my wife and mother are here with me. Along with my 2 year old daughter

Ask Eleanor :

Good that you are not alone. I would try to make it through tonight and call your psychiatrist firs thing in the morning. If you get worse during the night, then have someone take you to the ER.

Customer:

Alright.

Customer:

I appreciate the help very much.

Ask Eleanor :

You are very welcome. It has been my pleasure. I also hope that you will call the center tomorrow and make an appt. I believe they can really help you. Please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my professional time and response. I wish you healing, take care, Eleanor

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience: Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years