Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

My wife thinks she has people following her and thinks her

My wife thinks she has people following her and thinks her apartment is bugged. Even thinks our phones are tapped. She eats very little and has not had a good night sleep for over a week. She says the dog wakes her up as it barks at neighbors in middle of night. Now she thinks she hears voices telling her things. What do I do?
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that your wife has been having. She obviously seems very paranoid and is having auditory hallucinations, both of which are very concerning. A lack of sleep can cause or enhance a lot of these symptoms, but either way the problems that she is experiencing would certainly make it necessary for her to have a proper evaluation by a doctor or psychologist. Especially if this is something that has just started in the past week, it would be important to have her evaluated properly in order to determine the cause of the sudden change. A sudden change in personality can be a warning sign of some potentially larger problems. You've been right so far to calm her down and try to get her to sleep. Limiting caffeine was also a good idea. However her symptoms are concerning enough that it would be important to have her properly evaluated in order to rule out any potentially serious mental health issues.

I know you're going through a lot with your wife and I hope that I've been able to give you a place to start. With the proper care, hopefully she can get this under control quickly. Best of luck with everything and if I can be of any more help just let me know.