RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

is there a difference between delusional disorder and hypervigilence - Im convinced

is there a difference between delusional disorder and hypervigilence - I'm convinced my mum has delusional disorder but today doctor said he thought it's hypervigilence, even though she's on antipsychotics risperidon and has persecutory delusions. She lapsed with the pills recently and has been at times too scared to leave the house, phoning me middle of night or emailing bizarre things like 'be careful about the dangerous white dogs, may want to kill you' or wearing black and white kept you safe wearing certain colours has meaning. And often goes back to how the benefit office is trying to persecute her but they are just doing their job. I'm worried that he thinks her condition is less serious than it really is because she doesn't present true symptoms in the doctor's office (I have sent him her strange irrational death preoccupied emails, and phone verbatim).

Rafael Morales Toia :

This is truly frustrating for anybody in yoru shoes.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Who has prescribed these drugs to your mother and based on what diagnoses?

Rafael Morales Toia :

it is obvious to me that your mother does not exclusively present hypervigilence

Rafael Morales Toia :

but that she is paranoid and delusional as you mentioned.

Rafael Morales Toia :

What is not very common is how she does "not present any true symptoms at the doctor's offive".

Rafael Morales Toia :

It would be necessary to clarify that, once a person with a psychotic disorder in an active phase remains experiencing delusions, hallucination and other symptoms most of the time.

Rafael Morales Toia :

they could hide them out of fear but not to the extent a doctor would not notice.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Sadly most people get psychiatric drugs from primary care physicians instead of psychiatrist, who are the ones who truly know about those drugs much better.

Rafael Morales Toia :

And even in such cases, drugs would not heal a person with psychosis but mainly numb in some ways their symptoms. it is counseling and psychotherapy what could mitigate then and help with coping and improving awareness, mood and functioning.

Rafael Morales Toia :

It is very concerning that even when you sent those emails and phone messages with the very content of her ideas-behaviors, they disregard it.

Rafael Morales Toia :

You need to be very careful and monitor how things evolve. First to get a psychological evaluation, then treatment. if she is open to family support, they you all need to work on an action plan on how to take her to be willing to get psychological support.

Customer:

You're right, I think she continues to get the delusions while with the doctor but is clever with hiding them...and

Rafael Morales Toia :

This is a very frustrating and sad scenario once you cannot do a lot of what would help her if she happen to be willing.

Customer:

defencive. I will call the doctor before our next appointment (as I go with her) to make sure he understands what happens outside of the office.

Rafael Morales Toia :

That's why CBT and other cognitive-behavioral approaches work with the person's delusional ideation and family in order to get their cooperation and improve from there.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Who lives with her?

Customer:

You have reassured me that it is delusional disorder like I thought and I'll keep prioviding the evidence to the doctor...even though that won't really change the fact she doesn't want to see a mental health specialist. She totally refuses to see a counsellor. But I've noticed that when we are supportive that eases her agitation. She lives alone.

Rafael Morales Toia :

For how long has she been like this?

Customer:

We called crisis team out last weekend as she was preoccupied with death

Rafael Morales Toia :

That is not good, because we are talking about psychotic disorder here, so monitoring and close support are necessary

Customer:

couple of years I think..but stopped respiredon for a month so worsened during that time

Rafael Morales Toia :

Necessary to find out how it started and what caused or triggered it.

Customer:

thankfully the new GP she met today gained her trust somewhat and persuaded her to come see her again next week so I agree with you close monitoring is key

Rafael Morales Toia :

Drugs could control symptoms but cannot touch the core issues creating-feeding the disorder.

Customer:

i know the triggers (benefits office, building work) i recognise the signs now but i don't think i'll find out what caused it..i think she's predesposed to the illness

Customer:

I will make sure she sees the GP regularly, even if we don't get her to see mental health specialist

Customer:

Thank you that's reassured me....

Rafael Morales Toia :

Absolutely, and again, only psychiatrists and in some places psychologists are the specialist about psychiatric drugs. it's like a female patient getting gynecological treatment-drugs by a general physician.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Not the best choice even more when it is about a serious condition like psychosis.

Customer:

That's right, respiredon wasn't reviewed for 2 years...and crisis team said there are 6 other newer drugs she could be on...so I will when she settles see how we can progress onto that

Rafael Morales Toia :

You're very welcome. Please keep close support of her.

Customer:

I will do, thank you again, goodnight

Rafael Morales Toia :

Good night