psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

My son has exhibited unusual anger in the past few days that

Customer Question

My son has exhibited unusual anger in the past few days that is uncharacteristic. He has slept on the couch away from his wife for the first time in their 12 year marriage. He googled a site for firearms and left it on their computer.
I believe he should be seen immediately but am unsure where to take him. We live in the Katy, Texas area.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.
Do you want the rules for having an adult seen in the mental health system or texas area. If you need specifics for Texas I will opt out for someone else
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need to know where we can have him seen this evening. I don't think he will object but will force the issue if needed. I think this is that serious. This is not normal behaviour for him.

Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.

If you want any adult seen in mental health without their consent then someone in authority has to file an Emergency Petition. In Maryland this is done by calling for a police escort (he isn't arrested). The police will take him to the nearest emergency room. They will ask you why you called and you tell them that he is a risk to himself or others. This means that he can be evaluated against his will. The police decide where they are taking him. If he gets out of hand then they handle that too. The hospital will then admit him to the ward for at least several days. The psychiatrist will evaluate him for the level of danger he poses and the decision will be made as to his future care.

Please press accept