Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

ra - es

Customer Question

My doctor refered my to an NHS Psychiatrist, but the appointment did not go well, he really did not ask me anything and being nervous I did not know what to say anyway. He has just told me that I need anti depressant tablets, which my Doctor can take care of for me.

I know that I have something wrong for the following reasons:

I really suffer with depression. This is not just because of life factors, without anti depresants I feel very low (sometimes feel suicidle), I get angry and agressive and not even a winning lottery ticket would change the way I feel.

I need things around me to be organised, I feel very stressed if my surroundings are untidy or day to day plans get altered.

I do not feel connected to people at all, not even close friends and family. Even writing this I am aware of how wrong it sounds. I have seen bad car accidents etc and the people around me get emmotional, but I dont. I pretend, because I know it isnt right. On the up side of that I am very useful in situations like this because I see it as "right the car has crashed, call 999, check the driver is ok etc". I have had relatives in hospital and I dont have any problem functioning normally. I do care, but not in an emotional way. From watching TV I think that some people like this are classed as psycopaths. I dont think this applies to me at all because I dont ever think about hurting people, it is not something I enjoy seeing etc.

I have a habit of going through phases of doing utterly stupid things. I say or do things and then my friends and family look at me funny and say "youve done what?". Mostly after I think about it I agree that it was stupid, but at the time I really didnt think that it was. My GP questioned the possibility of bi-polar disorder when referring me to the Psychiatrist. I think that this sounds familiar having googled it, but I can see how the need for organisation and unemotionial parts fit in.

I should add that I am 33, female and I have an issue with obesity. I do know that at times people have blamed my mental health issues on my weight problem so that it can be brushed under the carpet. I think that it is the other way around, if I can tackle my mental health I believe I will better control my weight.

I am currently prescribed lamotragine 200mg a day and venlafaxine 75mg a day (with a view to increase it slightly after I have been taking it a few weeks).

If you can help me get an idea of what is wrong with me I will look into getting myself sorted. Thank you for your time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am so very sorry to hear about how you are feeling. It sounds to me because of your introspection and thoughtfulness about what is going on with you, you would benefit a great deal from psychotherapy. Tablets should only be part of it. The real journey to getting you out from under would be if you entered therapy to get at the root of what and why you are feeling the way you do and then have the therapist travel the journey with you to help you work things through. I'd be very glad to help you move forward in the right direction by directing you to a service that will offer you a referral to a psychotherapist. Am I assuming correctly, that you are in the UK?

Customer :

Customer :

yes i am in the UK

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

This kind of treatment will be life changing. You don't need to suffer. Since I am not from the UK, contact them and ask them how to navigate the referral process and what you will need to do.

Customer :

OK, so do you not think there is a label for my problems? I just need to look into finding a psychotherapist?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Not really. Yes, you are depressed but just shoving a tablet down is, to me, anyway, saying, shut up. Yes, as I said, maybe for now until you find a therapist you can continue to take your tablets but the therapist will then work with you to get underneath things to help you move beyond where you are.

Customer :

OK thank you

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You are welcome! Do contact the British Psychoanalytic, tell them where you are located and get a therapist in your area. You won't be sorry.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Please do not forget to click on ACCEPT so that Just Answer pays me for my time.