Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have had to go to the doctor a lot lately. I have been going

I have had to go to the doctor a lot lately. I have been going from doctor to doctor all over the place and getting test after test over and over and over again. I have also received a lot of psychiatric care too. I have also gotten behind in my work and we are preparing for an audit in 19 days right now and I still have about 3 more doctor visits to go to. I am under so much stress right now that I can't even articulate it. Is there a psychological strategy to handle this kind of stress?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hello, it's good to talk with you again.

Stress can be good or bad. Some stress helps you perform better at your job and remain sharp when completely important tasks. But stress can be bad too. It can cause your body to react as if it is in emergency mode. When you have too much stress, your body triggers a chemical called cortisol and adrenaline. Cortisol and adrenaline cause your body to ready itself for a flight or fight response resulting in a rapid heartbeat and breathing, tightened muscles and increase alertness. But over time, this reaction can wear on you emotionally and physically. That is when stress becomes a problem.

There are ways to handle stress. It helps to know ahead of time how you are reacting to the stress so you can use what techniques would work for you as an individual. How you manifest the stress makes a difference in how you approach it.

Learn what you can about how stress affects the body and mind. By learning what you can, you can pinpoint the ways you are affected by stress. For some people, stress affects them physically. They experience headaches, muscle aches, lower resistance to illness, and sleep difficulties.

For others, stress affects them emotionally. Anxiety, appetite problems, irritability and difficulty thinking are all symptoms of stress.

Most people experience a combination of the two.

To reduce stress, try these techniques:

Relaxation- progressive relaxation of your muscles can help you learn to relax again. Lay down on your back. Start at your feet and tighten then let go of each muscle group. Do this slowly up your body until you reach your head. Do this each night and when you have time during the day. It teaches you how to relax and is useful when you find yourself feeling tense.

Deep breathing- people under stress often do not realize that they are breathing shallow which can cause you to feel lightheaded and tired. Practice taking deep breaths throughout the day to relax and center yourself.

Find time to relax- give yourself at least 30 minutes a day to do something mindless. Take a warm bath, listen to music, watch a favorite show, or take a walk for example.

Share your stress- talk to someone. Find support through family and friends. Do something with a church group. Sharing your stress can help you feel less burdened and therefore less upset.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.