Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

i am a 20 year old female. exactly 3 months ago today my life

i am a 20 year old female. exactly 3 months ago today my life changed. i was really full so i did decide to try and relieve by vomiting (i dont do that much so no lecture please!) i never ended up acually vomiting though, just really really forceful dry heaving. anyways in the middle of heaving i got this spaced out feeling. its a hard feeling to explain. just spacey/out of it/drunk feeling ALL THE TIME 24/7. also my eyes feel heavy and tired and i get headaches which are in the upper back of my neck. i, literally scared to death. i have been to the ER 3 times and they just me home. i have switched doctors a couple times because they just do not seem to care. i have had a spinal tap, cat scan and lots of blood work done, all normal. i tried to get a mri but none of the doctors will go for it. iv been to a neuro ( waved a finger in my face and said im fine), acupuncturist, chiropractor, massage therapy and probably more. iv ordered vitimins and supplements I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!! i KNOW something is wrong but noone seems to care or want to really help. anywayys some people do say it could be anxiety. at first i was like noway but now i dont know where else to turn. i just can not get out of my head or this all started, dry heaving. how could hard forceful heaving cause this? and can anxiety symptoms last this long ? i feel like doctors just put it on anxiety because they dont know what else it could be. everytime i explain my symptoms they just say "hmm thats strange, i dont know" like greaaatt thats comforting. do you have any idea what could be going on with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 2 years ago.

First off, I am glad to hear that you've been checked out medically. That's the first step toward ruling out something serious. If you've had CAT scans, bloodwork, and even a spinal tap, I am fairly confident that there isn't something neurologically wrong with you. That being said, I am also assuming that you've had your inner ears checked? Vertigo and "spaciness" can be caused by an inner ear problem like Ménière disease. So, if that hasn't been thoroughly checked, you might want to consider it. This website might be helpful to check out: http://www.labyrinthitis.org.uk/index.htm

Otherwise, I suppose it could be related to anxiety. If you notice yourself taking very shallow breaths a lot, it can cause hyperventilation, which would lead to dizziness and fatigue. Let me know what you think of the prior information first.

Good luck!

Dr. G.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have not been to an acual ear speicalist but my regular doctor has looked in my ear and has not said anything. the thing is i am not really dizzy, its really more of a spaced out feeling which is hard to explain. is there an acual diagnose for meniere disease? but i still cant get how the dry heaving caused all this out of my head?

Well, inner ear disturbances (which can make you feel "drunk" all the time) can be triggered by any number of things, including a minor trauma like dry heaving. Meniere's disease is "idiopathic" in origin, which basically means they don't know what causes it. Also, an ENT (ear, nose, and throat specialist) will be able to do a thorough examination. Just looking in your ear like a GP would do wouldn't be able to detect a problem.

That said, if it is something like anxiety, a psychiatrist might be able to prescribe something to help you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i asked my doctor that when they took a look and they said no ugh. well thank you! if i did have an inner ear disturdance would it last this long? and is there a way to fix it so i can feel back to normal?

Can you check out the link I provided (above)? There people seem to be sharing some long term effects that sound just like what you're describing.

Also, unless an inner ear problem is fixed, the symptoms will persist.

Finally, if all is physically well and you feel that the problem is more due to anxiety, there are lots of treatments (both medication and therapy) that are effective. I guess I would just want to be absolutely certain there wasn't some underlying physical cause before I began treatment with someone. I hope this helps some and I wish you luck!

Dr. G.

Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience: Clinical and Forensic Psychologist