Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.

I was taking cybalta and had a Tia and found out that I had

Customer Question

I was taking cybalta and had a Tia and found out that I had pernicious anemia. I quit taking cymbalta and starting taking effexor....I gained weight on effexor butwas happy but a zomby....I talked my Dr into going back.on cymbalta....results were severe stoache issues and anemia came back and still felt like a zomie....whichbone would you recommend
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

Effexor and Cymbalta are chemically, highly similar. Cymbalta is somewhat newer---FDA approved in 2004 and it was advertised quietly as a superior medication with more specific neurotransmitter effects than Effexor, which is older. Cymbalta is generally less expensive as well.

Anemia problems crop up with both Cymbalta and Effexor though the rates seem to be higher in Cymbalta (7-8% of patients).

You may want to consult with your doctor about trying a different antidepressant, and I see you've already tried Wellbutrin, which is quite different from Effexor/Cymbalta; but a newer one (these aren't known to be 'better', but could have different side effect profiles for some people) would be something like Pristiq and Viibryd. They work differently than Effexor and Cymbalta. Choosing antidepressants is a 'crap shoot'---one cannot predict in advance how they may help the person or cause unacceptable side effects.

Hope this is helpful to you. Please let me know if I can be of further help. Please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen. Thanks.
I see that you have read my last post. Any comments or follow up? If not, please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the page. Thanks.