Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Hi, Im really struggling to find a therapist that I feel

I'm really struggling to find a therapist that I feel I can develop a good relationship with. I am bulimic, but I don't really fit the text book description. I have experienced a variety of anxieties for many years and I have received CBT which has help on a practical level. I feel that I need a someone who will help me understand myself - the problem I have had in the past is therapists trying to discourage me from thinking too much and analysing. However, after years of not over coming my issues I think I need a deeper exploration of my mind. My question is.... what type of therapist would I best be suited to?
Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Rafael Morales Toia :

I think I can see what you mean by expecting further exploration and understanding ion what has been going on with you for so long.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Finding a good match in therapy is not an easy task, and most times finding even a good therapist meeting your expectations takes several attempts.

Rafael Morales Toia :

CBT takes into account both, ideas and behaviors, but sometimes counselors disregard the need for further deepening on the core issues creating and fueling low mood or any form of dysfunction.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Developing good insight and understanding on what we feel, experience and why we do things the way we do I is many times very important and should not be disregarded but promoted.

Customer:

is there an area of teaching, maybe Jung or someone else influential, that would discuss in a more philosophical way?

Rafael Morales Toia :

One thing is to uselessly and endlessly speculate about things fueling more and more anxiety, and other very different too become more aware of ourselves, and on understanding our experiences, our triggers and feelings and how we could support ourselves to feel and be better.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Humanistic approaches of psychology -including Jung-Analytical approaches do get to embrace much more of the person than pure behavior or superficial cognition.

Rafael Morales Toia :

I do recommend Integral psychology, integral therapy, since they do behold the whole human beign rather than only behavior or other isolated area.

Customer:

i feel that my nature requires an understanding. so far i have been treated from a text book. i have heard of a jungian in the area, maybe i'll try this

Rafael Morales Toia :

The best therapist is the one who happens to listen to your core needs and expectations, responds empathically and takes consistent action developing with you an action plan to get concrete results and changes.

Customer:

thanks. i'll check that out. for me, it's about understanding myself, becoming more enlightened if you will. i think that's the key to my distructive behaviours

Customer:

i like that sound of that. i'll keep that in mind as a reference point fr the next one

Rafael Morales Toia :

One of Jungian analysis advantages is the fact that considers your feelings, fears, values and subconscious... as important aspects of your psyche and behavior>

Rafael Morales Toia :

Please review Integral-Trnaspersonal Psychology_Psychotherapy.

Rafael Morales Toia :

That is the most coherent approach in these areas.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Jung was one of the initiators of Transpersonal psychology but it has evolved so much.

Customer:

thanks. i study mental health and the problem is getting objective advice as everyone thinks their way is the best. i appreciate the advice which reflects my questions for a change :)

Rafael Morales Toia :

You're very welcome.

Rafael Morales Toia :

The best for you.

Customer:

thanks. i'll get googling