Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

Hi, I am a 49 year old woman who suffers from depression and

Hi, I am a 49 year old woman who suffers from depression and anxiety disorder. I was a registered nurse up to six years ago and this all hit me like a ton of bricks. Since that time I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg OD, and was unable to return to work as a nurse. I have a panic attack in stores, public places etc. I pretty much know where I can attempt to go and where not to. For example I would never go in a Walmart store. I can drive and enjoy visiting with family and have guests to my home often. My biggest issue is going to the doctor. I obviously need my pills renewed for a prescription, but it continues to get worse. I can hardly get through it and sometimes I just leave because no one understands. How do they expect people with these disorders to get help when you can't even get in the office? Since I started this medication I have gained weight and wondering if this is a possibility of them not working so well now? Before this weight gain I was coping much better in these situations. Maybe I need to increase the dosage? Also is there any way to prescriptions filled online?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 2 years ago.
There may be a way to do it online, but I wouldn't recommend it - especially with Effexor. Since Effexor is an SNRI, it affects norepinephrine too and one must be titrated up or down. I also must add that Effexor sounds like a bit of a strange choice for panic disorder in some ways. It can have an activating effect on a lot of patients, making the experience of anxiety worse. Have you considered switching to a classic SSRI like Prozac or Paxil or Zoloft? They can do wonders with panic and don't have the associated side effects that SNRI's do.
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience: Clinical and Forensic Psychologist