Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

Ive been in a relationship for 7 yrs

Customer Question

I've been in a relationship for 7 yrs..we are both 56 yrs old. He is going to the orient and has been very open about getting a "happy ending" while there and that I am free to have sex with anyone I want as long as I use a condom. he is very aware how this has upset me. I'm really wondering if I can continue this relationship. Am i over thinking this?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 2 years ago.

I can see why this idea of his would be extremely upsetting to you, especially since you have been in a long-term relationship with this man. Essentially he is insisting on having an "open" relationship while he is away, correct?

While there is nothing inherently wrong about an open relationship, the key to it's working is that both parties must agree (and hopefully be equally committed to that prospect). When one party doesn't want that arrangement, a decision must be made. Would you want to stay with him even though he was able to go against your wishes and knew that it hurt you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically you have just repeated what i said. I would like to withdraw my deposit.
I was trying to ask you more questions to get a better sense of the situation. I will still dialogue with you if you are open to it... If not, I will opt out and open the question again to the forum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll just withdraw thank you. I guess I knew the answer before I wrote this but needed to say it to know it.

I'm sorry - I truly wish you the best of luck.

Thanks,

Dr. G.