Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach

I just asked about my son how will I get an answer

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi Good morning. I answered your first question. did you get an email notification that would take you back to that thread?

Customer : No but I was able to see your response on my iPad. One time I tried to speak to our female physician about this issue in front of him and he became very irate with me as at that time he felt there was no problem. However, now he has been lowing to me for 6weeks about going to class and was sitting in his room again and just told me the tri
CoachJenK :

Ok glad that you saw my response and I got notification of your acceptance. I understand how upset he got it can be a very difficult issue to deal with and I imagine he is carrying around some shame and embarassment

Customer : Truth sorry. And did say he would agree to help. How do I get the right help now that he is an adult? What is wrong with him? What kind of doctor do I see? Where do I start?
CoachJenK :

If it is bipolar and I am unable to state whether it is or isnt then treament can be difficult if he is unwilling as you have already seens

CoachJenK :

I would suggest that you get him an appointment with a psychiatrist and i would call his GP to get the name of someone tht they work closely with.

CoachJenK :

I am thrilled he has said he would get help

Customer : So was I. But I fear for what is still to come, he is very thin and I understand some psychotic drugs cause weightless. Also he occasional likes to go out for a beer or 2 will that be impossible because if so he may refuse treatment. At21he finds that important
CoachJenK :

I understand all of your worries. Lets start with first steps and that is to get him properly evaluated by a psychiatrist

CoachJenK :

once that is done a course of treatment will be recommended possibly including medication and therapy

Customer : Does the high side of bipolar resemble add?.
CoachJenK :

It can as if he is in a manic phase he could have trouble concentrating and can seem all over the place.

CoachJenK :

When you get the name of the psychiatrist I would place the call so you can give some insight into what has been going on

Customer : Can bipolar disorder be influenced by dreary winter months as it seems this occurs each year after either a long Christmas break ie when in college. Or after a week long severe illness when in high school. It has happened 4times once after pneumonia, once after being hospitalized with salmonella those were in high school and in college after Christmas break
CoachJenK :

Seasonal Affective disorder can be a part of things but it seems like he does alternate between the depression and the more excitable stages. Either way, this is wh ya full evaluation for him where he can talk about all of these symptoms will help to narrow down what has been going on for him and the proper medication being prescribed if that is what the Psychiatrist feels.

CoachJenK :

Let me know if you need anymore support. Please call is GP to get the number of a psychiatrist that they recommend. That is the best place to start.