Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach
64783947

My son is 21 years old and sometimes gets afraid of life to

My son is 21 years old and sometimes gets afraid of life to the point that he becomes like a hermit and wants to hide from the world, and at other times when he feels good or happy he seems like he is add. When he is add like he is annoying and obnoxious to those around him. He doesn't have many friends. He is also very intelligent, with many good educational opportunities that he has botched up because he will get into one of his hermit phases and sit in his room for months and shut himself of from school friends and family and be unable to reach by phone. This frightens me, his mom
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, good morning.
You are a wonderful Mom and have a right to be concerned as this has been going on for some time. it does sound like he needs to be evaluated again as you could be right in terms of him displaying some symptoms that indicate a deeper issue.
i know he didn't make use of therapy when he was a bit younger, but what about now? Do you have more of a chance since he is older to go for an evaluation? If he is need of medication to provide some balance between these swings taking them only periodically will not benefit him.
You also need some support and I would suggest that you make an appointment with yourself to discuss with them what has been going on and how to get your son in for an evaluation. Would he do better with a female rather than a male therapist? I ask because of his previous refusal to talk to the last therapist.
This seems to be a bit deeper than a confidence issue but as you are aware only a further evaluation can indicate what is happening.
I commend you for the love and care you show him and your willingness to get him into treatment. Please get that support for yourself in the meantime. It can be very difficult on the loved ones as well.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach