KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

I have a 11 year old daughter who is not wanting to go to school.

I have a 11 year old daughter who is not wanting to go to school. There has been no bullying or other issues that have occured at school.She runs off or hides under bed when it comes to going to school or even going out to do something that she enjoys.She has only been at school twice in the past two weeks and she seems to be closing herself off to us when we ask her to try and do things.We had our first Psychologist appointment at the begining of this and we had no feed back after the appointment of what to do.Have you any answers to what we can do to get her to school .
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Hello
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is stuggling with school.
Customer:

Hi

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : There are a lot of different things that could cause school phobia.
Customer:

She goes well at school but it is just getting her there

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Some times it's a subject the child finds intimidating. Is there anything hard for her.
Customer:

As in going to school or other issues

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : At school, like math or spelling.
Customer:

No she excels at both subjects

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Is there anything that is hard?
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : You said she doesn
Customer:

Doing things like getting her to get out of the car at the school or all of a sudden getting out up the street to go to doctors

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : You said going out even to do things she enjoys is difficult.
Customer:

only the last couple of weeks she has had issues

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : How are her sleep and appetite?
Customer:

It takes a while for her to go to sleep of a night( always needing to be tucked in or someelse is wrong) she is a very picky eater,she can have a little bit for breakfast but can all of a sudden eat a whole baked lunch on a Sunday

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Is she irritable?
Customer:

yes every now and then

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : More than is usual for her?
Customer:

yes

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : It's sounding to me like she is depressed and anxious.
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : The two often go together.
Customer:

Yes she gets very jittery and also wrings her hands and sometimes pulls at her skin or hits something.

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : The thing that she can do which will help in both areas is practice health coping skills.
Customer:

Which are ?

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Some kids like to write down thiings they are worrying about and hen tear it up and throw it away.
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Getting outside and being physically active is a huge help.
Customer:

She does a lot of running at little a's

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Doing a relaxation exercise where she would tense and relax muscles from her toes to her head.
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : It's good that she's still being active.
Customer:

Ok we will try that

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Some kids like drawing, or music.
Customer:

yes. but it is at the stage that we do and try as many things that are possible to get her out of this

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Is important that she have some understanding that what she feels is from inside of her and she can learn to manage it.
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Rather than let it control her.
Customer:

Ok. do you recommend we try and see a child psychiatrist in stead of the psychologist.

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : If she can identify what it feels like when she first starts to feel anxious, she can take an active roll in calming herself down.
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : It doesn't sound like the psychologist is giving you any suggestions or information.
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Medication could help and a psychiatrist could manage that.
Customer:

yes that is correct .So I may take the next step

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : I usualy recommend a family doc first but a psychiatrist should be able to help you
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Has she had a check up lately?
Customer:

Yes she had a check up today and the doctor suggested to go to the step towards a Psychiatrist. But I just needed to talk to someone else to see what options I had.

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : A therapist who is experinced with kids could help with the coping skills. It isn't necassarly better to have a higher degree. The connection with your daughter and communication with you is he important part.
JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : The psychiatrist will handle the meds.
Customer:

Thank you for your help.I ned to go now and see what she is up to.You may here from me again if I need some more help.

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : Okay, good luck.
Customer:

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-3wxg6ws3- : If you click accept, JustAnswer will pay me.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.