KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

Id like to see if Im a psychopath. Is there any way you can

I'd like to see if I'm a psychopath. Is there any way you can ask me questions, which I will then answer completely honestly and to the best of my knowledge, and you can determine wither I am or not?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.
The first thing to find out is, were you in trouble when you were a teen? In order to be diagnosed as a sociopath, which is the current terminology, you have to have begun showing major antisocial behavior by the time you were 15. Did you run away, use drugs or alcohol, flaunt the rules, con people, steal, fight, or commit any crimes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I never got caught for any of the below. So no I was not "in trouble" but I did all of the below between my Sophmore and Senior years in High School:

I ran away once before 15... It was over something ridiculous - I didn't want to get my hair cut. I just didn't like that my parents were forcing on me how I should look. My hair was similar to the Beatles length? Nothing crazy, I just didn't want a crew cut.

During my Sophmore year in High School I experimented with many drugs: Marijuana, Ecstasy, Methamphetamine, Cocaine, LSD, and various prescription opiates including Oxycontin and Vicodin. I enjoyed stimulants because of the way they made me feel aggressive, sharp, and to a degree powerful.

During my Junior year I sold large quantities of ecstasy because that was a popular drug around my school. I used my peers to actually do the selling and made a profit off of them. In some cases they were able to make good money themselves, and in others I conned them to maximize my own profits. I used this money to purchase drugs among other things - I partied a good amount. People find me charming although it is all superficial. I can't think of anyone I truly "love" or ever had. I'm attracted to women and have found some that I enjoy their company a great deal but "love" them I don't think so.

My Senior Year I stopped selling ecstasy because there school and local authorities were getting close to catching me... some of he people who had sold for me had been caught. I would steal alcohol often from the local Wal-Mart for my friends and I to enjoy. I call them friends but they were more like acquaintances that found me fun to be around, and I enjoyed having other people around me to help me accomplish what I wanted.

I've never been a violent person. I have been in 3 fights in my life, and all of the we're started by the other person. In aggressive situations I tend to talk my way out of things and cool things down.

I apologize if this is more input than was requested. Just wanted to make sure I was thorough.

All this is good information. As an adult, do you always like to be the center of attention? Do you use people to meet your needs and don't really care if they get cheated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, never liked being the center of attention. I got a Business to Business Sales Position straight out of High School because I am pretty good with people - although I don't like them, I find them interesting. I ask a lot of questions and truly find learning about people fascinating. During my interview my employer I was able to present myself as a sharp and charming guy - ideal for Sales. Even with no college experience I got the job.

During a Sale I would weed out customers who were "One-time Buyers" and possible "Frequent Fliers" If they were One-Time Buyers, I would do everything I could to manipulate and con them into paying the highest possible price and give them the impression of a good deal. I would get a "high" knowing I had just worked somebody and made a nice sum off it.

"Frequent Fliers" I would be very honest, professional, and give them the best discount I could. All of these customers thought I was just a bright, nice guy. I did enjoy building these relationships to a degree... doing large amounts of business with the same person excites me. I'm always interested in making money. I feel I could make it to the top of a the corporate ladder quicker and easier than most.

Sometimes I try to cheat my way there. If I have call quotas or appointment quotas and I don't feel they are really the best use of y time I will falsify the numbers. I was recently caught for doing something like this, and asked to resign. It was the first time I had ever been seriously caught doing something against social norms. It has put me back to square one in what I want to do with life and it has made me think of just how different I am from people. It has made me eager to find just exactly how different and what I am, and how I can use this better understanding of myself to succeed, and set limits.
What you describe are definitely antisocial traits, but I'm not sure it rises to the level of antisocial personality disorder. If you haven't been in legal trouble since you were a teen, and you can, for the most part, keep your bosses happy, you have learned to follow social norms well enough to keep it together. As to how different you are than other people, there are lots of others, especially in sales, who have similar personalities.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You.
If you could accept my answer that would be great. Thanks
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.