Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist

I have been on the generic form of klonopin for 20 years due

Customer Question

I have been on the generic form of klonopin for 20 years due to insomia. I started with 2mg. p er night and havIfe never increased the dose. This morning I heard on the news that they could early death and cancer. I am still taking 2mg. per night and my doctor said that I could take 2mg. for the rest of my life. Is it safe?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 4 years ago.
As far as I am aware, Klonopin (clonazapam) is safe to take for long periods of time, the worst outcome being addiction to the drug. There are issues with taking any medication for extended periods (even ibuprofen can cause damage). Did the report that you saw mention the specific study?
As a side note, klonopin can cause heart palpitations (and, I suppose, "early death") in someone with a preexisting heart condition, but this is something your doctor would already be aware of.