Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.

Our Granddaughter has been in our care since June 2010. We

Our Granddaughter has been in our care since June 2010. We waited on the list to get her into councelling with AB Mental Health since July 2010. She finally started her councelling sessions in Jan 2012 with the AB Mental Health Student Therapist. Now her Mother who shares Guardianship with us but we have Day to Day care has requested through the courts to have a new Child Psychologist. What could be the ramifications to our Granddaughter by switching to a new councellor as she is happy with the present.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

If the child is making progress with the current therapist, there is little reason to disrupt the relationship. After all, it is completely uncertain whether a child will get on well with a therapist to begin with, so if you get a good match, I would strongly recommend not disrupting the relationship. A Child Psychologist may or may not be more helpful than the current therapist so it is a completely wrong-headed assumption to believe the child WOULD necessarily do better with a new psychologist. The research data simply don't support this assumption regarding level of training and experience of therapists. So I would oppose this move and try to persuade the judge to not grant the request. Get hard data from the therapist, teachers, and produce your own highly specific list of exactly HOW her behavior seems to have improved under the current therapist. Ask the therapist for a brief outline of a treatment plan i.e, what they plan on doing exactly, in the next few weeks and months in therapy, and HOW they will do this (what techniques will be used). Also, you can argue that the therapy with the student might well be superior, because the student has a licensed or certified instructor or clinical supervisor overseeing their work; there is ongoing supervision and consultation.

What do you think?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou Dr. Michael your answer is what I was looking for and I assumed correctly that disruption when you are trying to create stability and routine is not beneficial to the child.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it' would be another way to put this.

Let me know if I can be of further help. Please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen. Thanks.