Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

I am on medication for psychoses long time but it do not

Customer Question

I am on medication for psychoses long time but it do not halp me to get of hallucinations and delusions. I wont to stop to use this drugs that give me only oful sideaffects and start to use vitamines. I found a book writen by dr Abram Hoffer and Andrew Saul who used Niacin and C vitamin and cured meny their patients. What is your opinion about this metod, and can I start to use vitamines before I Complitly stop to use my prescription drugs.? Can you refer me to a Natur doctor in the Cleveland  OH aria?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 2 years ago.

Hi there - this is not an answer to your question, per se, so I will opt out and allow someone else to answer more directly. I just wanted to provide you with a caution - be careful with supplements/vitamins just like you would with other medications. Massive doses of niacin can cause flushing, sweating and is hard on the kidneys. Large doses of vitamin C can cause stomach cramping and diarhea. If you are contemplating taking the vitamins, it's best to do so under the care of a physician.

Also, as a psychologist, I cannot recommend Dr. Hoffer's method as the evidence supporting it appears anecdotal at best and potentially harmful at worst. Please be careful and research your options thoroughly.

I wish you the best.

Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience: Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear you've had little relief from your symptoms. If you want to make any changes in your medication, I very strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor. If you try to go off abruptly and take only vitamins, I expect you will end up in the hospital. The warning Dr. Green gave you about the use of niacin and Vitamin C should be taken seriously. Just because you change to vitamins and other natural products, doesn't mean there won't be side effects. Many vitamins and minerals can be toxic in high doses. It is possible to add niacin to your current medication. The flushing can be a problem but taking an aspirin and some applesauce an hour before the niacin will help relieve that.

I don't have any information about natauropathys in your area.

Have you talked to your doctor about wanting to make these changes?