Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
28397935

why do some mental health professionals have such negative

why do some mental health professionals have such negative opinions of people diagnosed with a personality disorder?
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

Most professionals actually have no training in treatment of personality disorders, insurance companies won't pay to treat 'personality disorder' per se. Many individuals with personality disorders re-enact dysfunctional relationship features in therapy and most therapists really don't know what to do---get frustrated and give up (common with anti-social, borderline, narcissistic personalty disorders). Of course, these re-enactments of dysfunctional relationship patterns are part of the reason these individuals are in therapy in the first place, so therapists' frustrations are a bit ironical, IMO. So what is your situation and what prompts the question for you, personally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am currently studying a mental health and psychiatry course and having trouble findind any reasons as to professionals having negative opinions of people diagnosed with personality disorders. i can understand it in anti social but not with the other disorders.
Well to elaborate a bit---and these are a few points you won't necessarily read about in textbooks, but by definition, personality disorders are considered to be chronic and relative unchangeable patterns of behavior. If there is one common thread that cuts across the entire group of personality disorders it is the extreme difficulty they have either forming or maintaining interpersonal relationships over time. So they may have no difficulty forming an immediate attachment, but the partner ends up feeling controlled or 'smothered'. Or they may come to feel exploited and taken advantage of; or that the emotional drama that the person with the personality disorder presents each day, incessantly become too wearing on them. The other element that is commonly present is that in some of the disorders, not all of them, the individual truly believes that there is little if anything about themselves that needs changing or that commonly, conflicts, problems and turmoil in their relationships are 'always' due to situational factors or problems with the other person. So they often find it hard to empathize with others, realize how their behavior truly affects others, and they externalize blame. So it is hard to be in therapy with a client who doesn't think anything is wrong with them. Historically, psychiatrists who worked with persons with personality disorders referred to this as showing 'ego syn tonic' symptoms, meaning that the person's behavior was dysfunctional but consistently 'comfortable' with the person's ego functions or their sense of 'self'. Again, these individuals tend to be frustrating to treat, they tend to not want to be in treatment and are usually coerced into treatment. Not fun therapy and as I said, most 'therapists' have no idea how to treat individuals with personality disorders because training programs provide no effective models or modalities for doing so in their curriculum.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if I have overlooked any aspect of your original question. Please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen. Thanks.