Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

I am in the process of filling out SSA-3380 and SSA-3373 forms

Customer Question

I am in the process of filling out SSA-3380 and SSA-3373 forms for an Autistic-Non verbal with behavior problems. What are some key words I need for my application.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean? I may be able to help, but I need more information...
Dr-A-Greene, Doctor
Experience: Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to use proper wording so that my application for SSI does not get rejected. It is for a male 18year old Autistic Non-Verbal who loves to bolt/elop.

Okay - if you could give me a sample question or example it would assist me. It's a little too open-ended for me at the moment. Has he been formally diagnosed/tested?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do the person's illnesses,injuryies, or condditions limit his/her ability to work?

He needs to be prompted, instructed and lot's of repetition. Yes, he been tested at school for his Triennial.

Here is some sample wording (without knowing more): "Marked and sustained communication impairment in both verbal and nonverbal realms" - "Stereotyped and repetitive tic behaviors" - "inability to regulate social interaction" "lack of social or emotional reciprocity"...
Okay - I see. I would note that he has an inability to communicate with others (using some of the language stated above) and that he cannot follow direction or initiate interaction in a meaningful way as indicated (possibly) by lack of eye contact, facial responsivenessm and failure to respond. Basically, noting behavioral cues and answering the questions directly is best. Has this helped you at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Can you fill out the application for me? LOL Okay, I will now look back at my answers and use different terms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr-A-Greene;

This has been a big help and I will be sure to focus on the issues that he has.

:) - I know! The paperwork can be so daunting. Also, I would keep a copy for yourself once you're done in case you have to apply again. Sometimes people get turned down the first time for no good reason. Please don't get discouraged if that happens - just apply again and eventually your son will get what he needs (luckily it sounds like he's already got part of it - a good parent!) Best of luck to you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help! If I have another question will you be around?

Thanks again!

You're welcome and yes, I should be. I check every day at least. Don't hesitate to ask.