Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.

What is a pedophile? What would you call someone who views

What is a pedophile? What would you call someone who views child pornography, but would never (or claims he would never) touch a child?
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

Pedophilia involves regular urges and preference for either engaging in sexual activities with children, or entertaining images, mental representations or thoughts of a sexual nature about kids. So regular viewing of child pornography but not acting out or claiming one would never touch a child would do nothing to eliminate one's likely diagnosis of pedophilia. Viewing child porn is of course, illegal. Period. I'll pause here and allow you to follow up with a question or comment, or fill in some more details if you wish. I'll be away from the computer for a while so I appreciate your patience. Take your time responding. Thanks.