TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Turning out to be a rough morning. I keep seeing things run

Turning out to be a rough morning. I keep seeing things run through my head, and I can't seem to stop them. I am trying to get work done, and they just show up. It instantly makes me flush and get anxious. Then I just "sink" after. I've been at work for less than an hour and a half, and it's already happened about 4 times. What is this? How can I stop it? I turned on music I really like, and that is helping some, but not completely. I have several meetings today. I can't be spacing out and having physical reactions during those meetings. I will be doing most of the talking, so I can probably keep my focus on that, but Ineed to be sure.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Ignoring these thoughts is probably not going to be an option. You are coping with very strong emotions and that can be very distracting.

The feelings need to be acknowledged. You can do this by taking some time alone and dealing with how you feel. Start by writing down how you feel. Let what ever comes into your head go on the paper. This will help you express how you feel and see it at the same time, giving your thoughts a "voice".

Set aside some time to think only about what is on your mind. Concentrate totally on how you feel. Let all your thoughts and feelings come without interruption.

Once you do allow yourself time to think about how you feel, make a deal that you can think about how you feel later but it's time to work. You may have those feelings still there, but accept that they are there and let them be.

Take a small object into the meetings with you. Some people like to use a smooth colorful stone or a favorite object. Put the object where you can touch it and feel it as you need to. Whenever you have the intrusive thoughts, touch the object. Let it comfort you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, Kate.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was fine in my meetings. One more this afternoon, and it's by phone. I went outside and just went over some stuff in my head. Didn't resolve anything, but it seemed to quell the need for these thoughts to intrude. Thanks. :)
I'm glad I could help and that you made it through ok!