Hi, I have been dealing with depression for a while now .. actually going through a good patch at the moment, but being the perfectionist that I am I need to know what form of depression I am suffering from, so I can better manage it in future.
For a little background: I currently go to a psychologist and will follow everything up with her... I just returned to her after a year without therapy. My mother has been diagnosed with personality disorders (I think Paranoid/Schizoid).
From the research I have been doing I seem to fit somewhere between Seasonal Affective Disorder
) and Cyclothymia
, but not sure. Here are a list of the things that stand out from the questions I've been asked as well as what I think may be pertinent:
- No lack of ambition (currently completing my second degree and doing medical research at university)
- Creatively, emotionally and socially very intelligent I think, but definitely not a mathematical genius.
- Lack of energy quite often, even for the things I enjoy and want to do
- Often negative thinking or more focusing on the negatives and mistakes (perfectionism)
- Sometimes loss of interest in the things I enjoy
- Depression can last a few days to a week
- Don't seem to have the hypomanic phase of the Cycothymia, but do have time of more confidence (to get a new job or apply for an ambitious career change, always follow through, but the minute I achieve it and can relax.. I feel a little depro and want to move up and forward faster - Never comfortable where I am)
- Get distracted at times easily (especially during study periods). Find it easier to cram the night before (get 80%), than to try and drag studying across a couple of days end up with 60-70% and can't remember much after the exam is over.
- I get irritated easily with people close to me and the shop attendant who does me in, but have a lot of patience with people I've just met
- I often have periods where thoughts and ideas race through my head.
- I generally don't make stupid, rash decisions
- I generally sleep well, but wake up grumpy in the morning unless it's light outside, no matter what the time is.
- Enjoy sleeping
- I deal well with groups of less than 8 people
- I hate crowds
- I enjoy spending time with people, but also enjoy my own time sometimes and will rather stay home
- Winter is usually gloomy, but not always
- Mood is definitely affected by the weather, but not necessarily the rain (actually love the rain, its something in the air when it rains sometimes that sets me off ... not sure)
- I sometimes avoid people and will go on escapades for a while on my own
- I am a comfort eater, although I'm thin at the moment... dieted it all away
- I can also go on crazy spending sprees, when I don't have money ... comfort shopping.
Hope that isn't too much information. Can you please help me :-)
You can email me directly [email protected]
not sure if its allowed don't know how this all works.
Thank-you in advanced