Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

ASK SUZANNE, Im getting really obsessed with my appearance.

ASK SUZANNE, I'm getting really obsessed with my appearance. Yesterday, I was at the hair dressers from 11am - 4pm. The color looks good...the cut, i'm so/so with. A little too short, I think. So I'm thinking about getting hair extensions. My thoughts about my hair and other things are preventing me from focusing. I compare myself to my one sister-in-law who is absolutely gorgeous. It always makes me feel bad. Can you help? I must have more value other than how i look? i should think of others?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

It may be that you're so focused on looks today because of the mood swing caused by missing the antidepressants.

There will always be someone in the world who's prettier, has a better body, etc. Comparing yourself to someone in your family will just keep all the other comparisons alive too...and that's caused a lot of trouble for you in the past.

You are the only one who is paying this much attention to how you look--no one else is saying that you don't have value because your hair's a little too shot. Yes, you do have more value than how you look, and in the grand scheme of life's problems, too-short hair is pretty low on the list.

This would be a good day to write a gratitude list--things are really going quite well for you right now. Why not just enjoy that fact? Change where you are focusing your attention, and accentuate the positive.