MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

My 16 year old daughter was placed on 4mg of Abilify during

My 16 year old daughter was placed on 4mg of Abilify during a mental health hospitalization last week. Yesterday she reported that it is becoming harder for her to think and her vision is blurred. Words and faces are very fuzzy, she says. Her pupils are dilated. Sher yawns constantly and is sleeping extra hours but still tired during the day.

Her diagnosis is anxiety with some mood related hallucinations.

Her doctor from the hospital is taking awhile to get back to me. Should I be concerned or are these just normal adjustments to the med.?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
For me to best answer this, I need to know if she is taking any other medications at all. If she is, what are their doses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is taking 30 mg of Celexa daily. She has been on this for a year with no problems.
It sounds as though she might not need this much Abilify. If her hallucinations have been treated, it might be helpful to see if she tolerates a smaller dose (2-3mg) better while still having the anti-psychotic effects of Abilify, but please discuss this with her psychiatrist.
Does this make sense?