MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

in terms of addiction, or more in terms of an addict behavior,

in terms of addiction, or more in terms of an addict behavior, is taking adderall in the morning just to wake up (done once by person a) or taking a small line of cocaine at 1pm to wake up (done once by person b) the same? again, just in terms of addict behavior?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 5 years ago.
In theory, yes, if the person is simply using either of these drugs to wake up, it can be the same in terms of addictive behavior. You could also make the same argument for coffee in the morning. The difference would be if the person is taking the adderall in the morning because it has been properly prescribed and it truly helping them with their ability to function throughout the day, or whether they are simply using it as a stimulant to wake up. Using adderall to wake up would be an improper use of the drug, which would be abuse or perhaps addiction. Drug addiction is different than drug abuse in that it implies a pattern of abuse. So a person can also abuse adderall or abuse cocaine, but not be addicted.

I hope I've been able to answer your question. If so, I'd appreciate it if you would click the 'accept' button. Otherwise just let me know and I'd be happy to help you out.

Ryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
need a medical dr, ie a psychiatrist's answer to this.
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

To answer your question, it depends on a few things. If by "to wake up" you're meaning to feel more alert, and if the "Person A" was prescribed the Adderall for alertness (say, if he/she had narcolepsy), then the behaviors are not the same at all.

On the other hand, if "Person A" wasn't prescribed the Adderall for alertness or "to wake up" and just took it because he/she thought it might give that effect, then there is not much difference between the behaviors of "Person A" and Person B."

There is some bit of difference, though, in that it is not uncommon for people to be prescribed Adderall (for ADHD, narcolepsy, sometimes with depression), but people are never really prescribed cocaine (which is commonly used to stop localized bleeding in surgical procedures, but in such contexts it is administered by the physician, not the patient.)

Does this make sense?
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.