MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

I work as a volunteer refering mental health patients to clinical

I work as a volunteer refering mental health patients to clinical trials and I want to become more involved in the field of mental healthcare. I want to offer my services as an interviewer / recorder of those who have mental illnesses. Is there any praticular protocol or license that I must obtain in order to do so? Also do you have any advice on who I should contact to offer these services?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
To answer your question, I guess it depends on the purpose of your interviewing/recording people with mental illnesses. What would be your purpose in doing this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In speaking with clinical trial service providers it has been mentioned that their is a demand for these interviews to take place. I suppose it is to gather more information about the subjects in order to develope medications to counter act symtoms so it would be to know more details about the symtoms as well as to improve the education of counselers and psychologists.
If you are only asking questions, and not making decisions based on the information you receive, there is no need for a license unless, say an agency that wants to hire people to do this requires that they are nurses or medical assistants, etc. In other words, specific criteria as to what is required depends on the job.

The best place to inquire about such jobs would be in the psychiatry departments of medical schools/teaching hospitals and also in pharmacy schools.
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.