MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

I crack the knuckle on each thumb. This is in one swift movement...

I crack the knuckle on each thumb. This is in one swift movement... probably about 10 times a minute. It's a habit that I can't seem to get rid of. It gets worse if I'm nervous or even just bored. If I'm involved in something or concentrating it nearly stops. When I go to sleep, I have to tuck my thumbs into my fist otherwise I'll do it through my sleep.
I realise this may not be a "medical" condition, however, it's actually starting to hurt. What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

It's possible that you may have a tic disorder. Tics are sudden, repetitive, nonrhythmic motor movements or vocalizations involving discrete muscle groups. They often decrease with concentration. They can be treated with medication, often with good success. The first thing to do is to discuss this with your doctor, or better yet, a psychiatrist, so that you can be evaluated to determine if this is what's going on with you, and then get treatment for it, if it is.

Does this make sense?